1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories as a kindergartener...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Backyardigan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well said.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I didn't say the two were mutually exclusive.

I did say, however, I wouldn't drive 12 hours to take a 5 year old to a concert.

He said he was strapped for cash.

12 hours of driving at 60 MPH is 720 miles. Divided by 25 MPG and multiplied by $3/gallon, that comes out to $86 bucks.

12 hours of driving is at least two $10 meals (McDonald's). Now we're at $106. Nachos and two drinks at the concert will be $20. $126, now.

He said she'd miss two days of school, so that could possibly mean a hotel at $75 ($200, total) and another meal or two for a total of about $250.

Add that to the $300 he could make from the tickets for a total opportunity cost of 550 big ones.

I could think of much better things to do with my daughter (to be) for much, much less.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

For what it's worth, about the only negative memory I have of my dad (and of the the few bad ones of my childhood) is not being able to go to the 1983-ish MISL All-Star Game at the Richfield Coliseum because he had the gout.

I was 8 and devastated I wasn't going to be able to see Tatu, Drago and the boys.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My concern, really, was that most concerts start at like 7 with an opening act. She won't hit the stage until 8. Regardless of how excited your 5-year-old is, she's likely not going to make it until 9:30 without getting REALLY cranky, especially when she can't see it without screens.

It all depends on the child.

I just think it's better to make the profit, use it for bills or other Christmas gifts, and then maybe spend a day watching a Hannah Montana DVD and playing games or something.

5. I can't imagine driving six hours with my four-year-old daughter just to see a concert. I wouldn't do it.

The guilt sucks but it's just not practical. Just wait until something else hits your town - the circus, Disney on Ice, a hockey game - and take her to that. In the meantime, spend a day with her - as others have suggested.

Mine's ecstatic when I take her to the large park every weekend. She doesn't need a concert and a six hour drive to have a good time with me.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't speak for 6-year-olds today, but six hours in a car seemed like six days when I was a kid.

And no, this is not a "no-brainer." Otherwise, why did the parent with admitted financial issues decide to ask for advice?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the juggling act that is parenthood. You should take her, and here's why: There are a finite number of chances to make your children happy. When one is gone, it's gone. Carpe Hannum, dude. By all means, spend other times with her too, but if she wants to go see Hannah Montana and you have tickets, you'll be kicking yourself forever if you don't take her. If the Visa bill is a coupla weeks late, you'll be charged late fees, but I doubt you'll be kicking yourself over it. I was talking to Mrs. Novelist about our Christmas spending the other day, and she said we'd spent too much already. She was, of course, right. But my overriding thought was that my childhood memories from Christmas were not what I'd call overwhelmingly positive. My parents did the best they could, but I remember being disappointed, and I don't want my kids to have that memory.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You guys ever get a sense of deja vu?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I say sell them.

A few things not accounted for here yet...

1. I have never been a big fan of ditching school. I know it seems minor.

2. You said it is a six hour drive, so I am guessing 250 miles each way? Thats 500 miles and if your car gets 25 mpg that's another $60. When you are at the place, you will need to buy some of the other crap like food or a button or a shirt. Parking ain't free either. When you are driving you are going to need to eat out, so I would paste another $150 minimum for the trip itself.

I know it sucks to hear that, but I would take the entire family to something a little more local.

EDIT - Sorry, TBF. I missed your post.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'd take her. It's her dream. In a few years or even one year, her dream may change, but she'll always remember you taking her.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

People don't pay to see her sing. :eek: :eek:

12. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

No wrong answers here -- everyone here seems to agree on the importance of a dad spending time with his daughter. For my girl, it was her dad taking her to an X-Files event (back when it was a first-run show), where she met some of the actors. She kept the posters up on her bedroom door for years. Years.

Seems like the 12-hour round trip via car would afford plenty of chat time. Or, as I recall my own two kids at that age, some nap time as well :)

If you decide to go, bring a blanket and pillow for the car, pack a lunch or some other handy kid-friendly snacks for Dad's pockets. And figure out where the concert-hall restroom is; there will be a need :) Expect the usual fussiness most kids that age encounter when they're overexcited.

Bring a camera but don't let it get in the way of being there with her.

When it's all over, help her remember the highlights of the day -- which will hopefully be more about your time together than what happens onstage.

Draft saved Draft deleted