1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories as a kindergartener...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Backyardigan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No-brainer--take your daughter to the show.

It's a Christmas present, right? Would you try to sell her other presents to make a profit? No way.

You'll have lots of regular other days to spend together....this will be one she'll never forget.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

As for what to do...I'm not a father (SJ breathes a huge sigh of relief) but I don't think you can judge this on "well, my dad never took me to something like this and I turned out fine." There was no insane shit like this when we were kids. the entertainment industry wasn't tapping us for all we were worth at six.

When I was six, all I did was watch the hippie chicks on WPIX at 2:30 every afternoon (someone in NYSportsJournalists.com help me witih the ID...two ladies who played acoustic guitars, they released an album or two). I didn't want to go to a concert until I was 10. And it cost my mom $40--with dinner--to take my sister and I to see Huey Lewis and the News.

At some point, your daughter is going to outgrow Hannah Montana. But she'll never forget the joyous surprise she felt when she got to see them as a six-year-old. If you can swing the tickets, do it.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I disagree with this, but my experiences won't necessarily be the same as Backy's daughter's so, I'll leave it at that.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

First baseball game I took my daughter to, she watched the whole game on the Diamond Vision screen. But it was still awesome.
    One of the best memories of her younger years that I have was her first football game, and it was just to my high school.
    Anything you can do together ... do it. Those occasions will become fewer and fewer.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't remember going to baseball games at 3 or 4. I do remember one at age 5 -- Kirby Puckett gave me a ball during BP (hi Zeke!) He pointed right to me, and tossed it right up into my glove. Except I squeezed too early and dropped it! It fell back to the warning track. He laughed a big laugh, jogged over, and retrieved it. Then he pointed at my dad, and pointed at me, to make sure I got the ball. My dad caught it and put it in my glove. Kirby gave me a big smile, waved and then went back toward the outfield.

That's my memory at age 5. Damn right she won't forget that concert.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm 100 percent with IJAG on this one. It's not like she wouldn't remember the concert, but if you have a great daddy-daughter day, she'll never forget that.

And if you'll stand some parenting advice from a non-parent, she needs to get used to not getting everything she wants. What about three years from now, when it's not Hannah Montana but it's Susie Phoenix and tickets really are $300 a pop? Will she expect you to come through again? What about when she asks for the Mercedes for her 16th birthday? What if she gets the impression that toys or concerts are more important than bills? I'm not saying you are teaching her all these things, because by even asking I know you're a great father, but you never know what message they really are internalizing.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's total bullshit. Susie Phoenix sucks. No one would pay to see her sing.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Take her dude. She will remember it.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I can barely remember shit from when I was 5-years old, and even if she has a great memory, ,I imagine it will be a fleeting one.

Yes, it would be cool for her to go, to talk about it with her friends and everything, but is it responsible?

What about:
    Sell the tix and get whatever profit you can. With the ORIGINAL money you spent on the tix, buy her that doll and something else special. Take the rest and put it into a college fund for her. Imagine the extra $$$ she'll be happier with when she's 18 and doesnt have to go into debt for the rest of her life, like I am.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a cousin who wouldn't come near my father when she was a child. Not just being shy. She was terribly afraid of him, for some reason.

He babysat her one day for her folks and did whatever she wanted -- ice cream, bought baby dolls, shopped, all that shit.

From that day until the day he died she literally ran (being serious, here) to him and jumped into his arms when she saw him. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

So, I'd say scrap the tix for 12 hours of driving and take her somewhere else she'd like to go. And do whatever she wants for a day, or something.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't get it, does going to Hannah Montana mean he'll never spend another meaningful day with his daughter?? Why can't he do both? Take her to the concert, and have plenty of other great days with her? Why does he have to make a choice?

I could understand if he doesn't have the tickets and they would cost him a grand, etc...but he has them. Just go.

Draft saved Draft deleted