1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories as a kindergartener...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Backyardigan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A. I'm pretty sure you could get more than $300 for the two tickets.

B. There are other ways to spend quality time with your kids. Take some of the proceeds, have a daddy-daughter day doing WHATEVER SHE WANTS..and pay some bills at the same time.

Would she love going? Yes. Would it be a memory? Yes. Will there be other things and other memories that would mean just as much, if not more? Yes. I wish my father had spent more time, just the two of us, rather than always trying to take me some place where I had to share him with 10,000 other people.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am split on this.

If it's a matter of your kid not having dinner for a few nights in lieu of tickets ... well, eat, dammit.

You don't need to lay out a couple hundred bones to spend quality time with your daughter. I see what Baron is saying, but you can spend quality time with your daughter watching a basketball game on the couch, too.

Of course, I'm not a father. So judge it as you will.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

For God's sake, take her! Money can be replaced, however slowly. Your daughter?

Thought so.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Whatever you do, make your decision and don't look back. You don't want to give her the tickets, THEN realize you need to hock them.

Alternative idea: hock the kid, keep the tickets.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, so the kid can starve for a few nights just so daddy can pretend to keep up with the Joneses and take his kid to a show?

C'mon, crusoes. I saw that scenario happen all too much when I was growing up. Of course, I grew up in an area where socio-economics were messed up pretty bad.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why not spend the day with your daughter instead of going to the concert. Get lunch and do things that she likes to do; just the two of you.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Great idea, HB.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Do some digging and see what those tickets are going for. I think you might find you'll be able to get more than $300 for them if you decide to sell.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm sure there were a lot of things I wanted to see as a kid that my parents said no to. I don't remember.

My Mom would take me out of school one day a year just to hang out - go shopping at the 'BIG mall", have lunch at White Spot. That I remember.

It was having the time alone with my Mom that mattered, not what we did.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Take her. AND make sure you have other daddy-daughter times. But take her.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

On the one hand, HC, is right that I don't remember any of the stuff that my parents didn't take me to as a kid.

I do, however, remember my first college basketball game -- it was the first sporting event I saw live. It's funny that this comes up since I was at my parents' house yesterday for my birthday and my sister had a photo album out. She was flipping through it and said, "hmm.. this looks like a State U basketball game. I wonder which one." I immediately told her who State U was playing and mentioned what I was wearing (A State U sweatshirt and sweatpants), even though I was only 6 or so at the time. My mom was shocked I could remember the game, let alone what I was wearing.

I have no advice on whether the money or the show is more important to you and your daughter, but I will say this, I do remember that game very clearly to this day. Take that for what it's worth.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Take her to the show.

My old man took me to see the Stones when I was 9, we sat as far away from the stage as you can be, and I had the time of my life.

I'll never forget it.

Draft saved Draft deleted