1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to Pirates fans: You're officially screwed!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Pittsburgh Pirates fans can kiss any chance of winning season good bye

Just got a release:

McCLATCHY AND NUTTING REQUEST CHANGE OF CONTROL

WITHIN PIRATES OWNERSHIP GROUP

Pirates CEO Kevin McClatchy and Chairman of the Board Robert (Bob) Nutting have requested that an official “change of control” within the Pirates ownership group be approved by Major League Baseball. Control of the Pirates will change from Kevin McClatchy to Bob Nutting, pending approval by MLB Owners.
    Mr. McClatchy, as the club’s CEO, remains responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization. As Chairman of the Board and control person for the team, Mr. Nutting’s role is to provide strategic leadership for the organization.
    “I am deeply and resolutely committed to the success of the Pittsburgh Pirates both on and off the field. I understand how important the Pirates are to the people of this region and I share in their passion to see this team succeed,” Mr. Nutting said. “Kevin was very supportive of this change of control, and it should provide absolute clarity for our fans regarding the ownership structure of the team.”
    “Bob and his family have been tremendous partners. This change of control was the right thing to do considering their gradual increased investment in the ballclub,” said Mr. McClatchy. “Bob and I agree that the best way for us to win on the field is to build from within. This is the plan we believe in, and the one that Dave (Littlefield) was brought in to develop and execute. We had a strong second half in 2006 and I’m confident that we’ll continue to improve in 2007.”
    “I believe there is absolutely nothing more important than for this team to be able to win on a consistent basis,” Mr. Nutting said. “I am committed to providing Kevin and Dave the greatest amount of support possible to accomplish that. Our fans deserve it, our community deserves it and I expect it.”
    Major League Baseball Owners will vote on Thursday, January 18 to officially recognize the change in control. The vote is part of the overall agenda for the quarterly MLB Ownership Meetings slated for Phoenix, Arizona beginning next Wednesday.
    “Bob and his family provide strong, stable ownership for the Pirates,” said Commissioner Bud Selig. “Their long history of leading successful organizations and multi-generational commitment to the Pittsburgh region will translate well for the Pirates. I have enjoyed working with Bob over the past several years. He has a great passion for the Pirates and a tremendous desire for the team to succeed.”
    “Kevin has been a tremendous asset to the Pirates and the Pittsburgh community,” Selig continued. “His vision and tenacity kept the team in Pittsburgh, built one of the country’s best ballparks and hosted a tremendous All-Star Game last July. He’s also devoted much time and energy to MLB initiatives, particularly our recent efforts on the World Baseball Classic.”
    This mutual decision is a result of the gradual increased investment in the franchise over time by Mr. Nutting and his family, making the Nutting family the ballclub’s majority owner.
    “Since my increased involvement in 2003, Kevin and I have worked very hard to restructure the ballclub’s finances. The franchise is now in a good position that ensures its long-term viability and provides the financial stability to keep our young, talented team together for years to come,” Mr. Nutting added. “We are working from this solid base and will build upon it by continuing to reinvest back into the ballclub as we have been. It’s critical we spend those resources effectively.”
    The Nutting family, owners of Ogden Newspapers, Inc. and Seven Springs Mountain Resort, were part of the original ownership group assembled by Mr. McClatchy in 1996. Bob Nutting has represented the family’s interest in the Pirates since 2003. He also serves as President and CEO of Ogden Newspapers, Inc. and Chairman of Seven Springs Mountain Resort.
    The Pirates also announced the addition of two members to the organization’s Board of Directors, William (Bill) Nutting, VP of Ogden Newspapers, Inc. and Duane Wittman, CFO of Ogden Newspapers, Inc. They join Bob Nutting (Chairman), Kevin McClatchy, G. Ogden Nutting and Don Beaver on the Pirates Board of Directors. The expansion brings the total number of seats on the Board to six, each representing one vote.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Like the Pirates weren't screwed with McClatchy running things? He has been terrible.

I'm not just talking about refusing to spend. He actually went public in saying that the team had to dramatically cut payroll immediately during the 2003 season, basically taking the legs out from under his own general manager because everybody knew he had to dump players. That led directly to the Pirates giving Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Cubs for Jose Hernandez, Bobby Hill and two minor leaguers who were out of the organization by 2004.

They also unloaded Brian Giles that year, though somehow David Littlefield got real value for him (think the Padres wish they still had Jason Bay every time Giles pops another one to the warning track?).

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fixed, depressingly enough.

As a Pirates fanboy looser, I'm not getting worked up over this. What's the point?

Unless there's a real ownership change or some semblance of accountability within the organization -- Littlefield hasn't traded surplus pitching for hitting, the farm system is in smables, the team's presence in Latin America is non-existent, yet he's still employed -- nothing will change. Nothing.

The young starting pitching and a weak NL Central is the only way this team can hope to compete the next few years. The Pirates have NO OFFENSE, espicially power-wise, to speak of (majors and minors).

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who cares. Same story, different song.

5. Damn, so this means the unparalleled success they've had the last 10 years is over?

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Does this mean Operation Shutdown is officially over?

7. Is this going to set off another orgy of Pittsburghiana on the board? We haven't had one in a while.

8. Pittsburghiana?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Year 13 of the 5-year plan commences April 1st.

10. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

A chairman of the Pirates board ... by any other name ... is still the chairman of the Pirates board. Here's to another few years of futility at PNC Park.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In honor of its new owner, shouldn't PNC Park be known as The Nut House?

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

What did the Pirates get this offseason?

Nutting.

Draft saved Draft deleted