1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to NFL coaches...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 25, 2006.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Scott Fujita's adoptive father is Japanese ... maybe he taught Payton.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

What's the point of being an NFL coach if you're not paranoid? :)

I wouldn't be so sure people wouldn't try to look at something for a tipoff. Even if you can't relay it down to the field before a play starts, next week's opponent might pick up something. Plays can be signalled in, just like baseball coaches. People try to steal signs in baseball all of the time. If you read Halberstam's book about Bill Belichek, you learn that he looks for keys about how a player will position themself on a run play compared to a pass play. They have charts for what coaches will do on a down-and-distance situation from any point on the field.

The NFL was more fun when QBs called their own plays in the 60s and 70s. At one point, there were 25 teams where QBs called the plays and three teams where coaches called all of the plays. I don't know if any QBs call the plays in the NFL, except for an audible.

Then again, franchises are worth a billion dollars.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They've been doing this in MLB for years. Catcher goes to the mound, pitcher covers his face with his glove when they're talking. Honestly, I have no problem with it. In the interest of leaving no stone unturned, it would not surprise me if some or all of them have hired professional lip readers to watch the games on TV and steal a play or two.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini were getting cheesecake to go.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In the 89 NLCS, Will Clark got a game winning hit off of, I believe, Les Lancaster. Clark said after the game he knew what pitch was coming because he read Don Zimmer's lips when Zimmer went out to the mound right before the at-bat.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo to the NY Giants' defensive coaches:

Guess you should have worked 19-hour days last week instead of 18-hour days.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i love when pitchers cover their mouth with their glove when the catcher visits. a sign of the paranoid times. :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The coach who learns to speak Navajo will be ahead of the curve, for sure

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted