1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to NFL coaches...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 25, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Please, for the love of God, quit putting your charts over your mouth when you call a play...

NO ONE IS READING YOUR GODDAM LIPS!!!!! And if they were, would they be able to get the word to the defensive coordinator, to get the word to the sideline, to get the word to the defense on the field, before the snap?

This may just be a picky thing, but to me, this is a perfect symbol of just how paranoid NFL coaches are. And have you noticed it's almost always a Parcells disciple doing it: Sean Payton, Belichek, etc.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren do it too, but I always thought they were ordering cheesburgers and not calling plays.

3. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I particularly liked the shot tonight where you could see Sean Payton holding the card up to his lips as he talked, except the camera was coming in from an angle, so any lip reader watching the live feed would be set.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Maybe they could learn to speak Japanese and they'd be safe. There are no Japanese players in the NFL, are there? I thought Holmgren looked ridiculous when he did it in the season opener against Detroit. A coach could tell the Lions what play he was going to run and they'd probably still screw up trying to stop it.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Gruden's lips are easy to read no matter what ...

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Every time I see one of those color-coded charts they're holding, all I can think of is "fried rice... moo goo gai pan... egg rolls... one from column A and one from column B..."

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

am i wrong or do all coaches do it now?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess they all do it now, but I'd defy even the best lip-reader to decipher a coach saying: "Trips right, 27 Y-over, on two."

They look silly doing it.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Andy Reid has been doing it for years. It drives me nuts to watch it, but hey you never know. Might cost a team a touchdown once or twice.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

But consider this: If all NFL coaches are doing it, then all NFL coaches think it is a necessary precaution, which leads me to believe that all NFL coaches at one point or another have been able to read another coach's lips on television and figure out what play is being run.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think it's one of those viscious cycles coaches talk themselves into. One of them -- Reid, Holmgren, Belichik -- probably thought one of the other paranoid bastards would hire a lip-reader. I think if it had happened, someone would have found out and reported it by now.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I see those and think it's nice that NFL coaches are single-handedly keeping the lamination industry alive.

Draft saved Draft deleted