1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo suggests FBI had mole inside ABC News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Fascinating story. Makes one wonder what the journalist's motivation was, money or actually helping save lives. Apparently a member of ABC News was sharing info with the government...had an informant ID and everything.

The money shot from an Arizona State journalism prof:
    “I mean, he’s not only a rat, he’s a really huge rat” says McGuire. “He’s obviously decided that helping the government on an ongoing basis is more important than being a journalist.”

Read the story, please, and let me know what you think

http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/3112/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being a reporter is a great job.

Being an FBI snitch can be noble.

You just can't do both.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Ace, I guess you are right. I probably read the Arizona State professor's quote in the wrong "tone of voice" if you know what I mean. This is why I refuse to have an argument with text message...how something is said is just as important as what is said.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if there aren't more. I am certain that the FBI and CIA try very hard to woo reporters.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone in journalism agrees, and anyone who cares about freedom of the press and the Constitution and silly things like that will agree.

The majority reaction, however, will be, "Good."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have guessed John Miller, who is now officially with the FBI as a PR guy, but he didn't join ABC until 1995.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe someone in the government wanted to know in advance who was going to win Dancing With The Stars?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good read, CB. And interesting to note that something like this -- which sounds like a move out of the Nixon administration's playbook -- happened during the Clinton years.

Just sayin ... they're ALL control freaks, regardless of political party/ideology.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would like a cool FBI code name.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Gawker says it's Christopher Isham, now the Washington bureau chief at CBS.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well that should make him a popular guy around the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted