1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Tells the Jews He's Sorry (after ABC mini-series cancelled)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Look, let me point out that I don't give a shit one way or the other here. Whether the guy's an anti-semite or not, I'm gonna sleep just fine tonight. Hell, might even nap this afternoon.

It's just that, and maybe I'm wrong, but he always seemed like one of the better guys in Hollywood. Down to earth, family-oriented and not a big screwup. Just seemed to me that a guy like that might deserve a bit of a chance to prove his apology was sincere. You don't think so, I'm OK with that, too.

Also, the Passion movie, he went to some lengths not to bang on the Jewish people. If I recall, he showed that movie to numerous Jewish leaders while it was in production and even had some Jewish leaders on the set in an effort to ensure they were comfortable with what was being done. Now, maybe there's a story I didn't read about this, but I went through a lot of stuff back when this thing was being released and I remember being rather impressed that Gibson could make this film and still adequately placate both sides. But again, maybe I'm wrong.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What "sides" are there to the story of Christ's crucifixion?

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Christians believe that Jesus is the Messiah foretold by the Prophets, Jews do not.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm not forgiving Mel completely until he apologizes for "Bird on a Wire."

As far as anti-semitism among non-Jews is concerned, as someone once told me in a low voice and with a sidelong glance, "They're ALL anti-semites."

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, come on. You know what I'm saying.

It's like the cockdian fellow pointed out: Simply telling the story, to many, would be a shot at the Jewish people. Gibson, from what I could tell, tried to make sure that he didn't do that. That's all I'm saying.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

dog --
    The opinion of Jewish leaders was decidedly mixed on whether the film was anti-semitic. The ADL, for one, thought it was.

And, as I said, when you're essentially remaking a passion play in film form, you'd better be damn sure you're covering your bases, given their historic uses.

I myself can't comment, as I haven't seen the film.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Yea, but taking a full 4 days to apologize for his remarks?

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

My thought on the film was this: Ain't no damned way the guy was gonna please everybody, but the fact that he was able to make a very popular movie about this without triggering a movement of anti-semitism throughout the Christian world was pretty solid work.

Certainly, there were some nuts who took it and ran. But for the most part, people just watched and enjoyed the movie.

Just one other thing here (from an AP story):
    Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, called Gibson's apology "unremorseful and insufficient."

STFU, Abraham Foxman. "Unremorseful and insufficient"? WTF? What exactly was Foxman looking for here, a statement from Gibson saying he was gonna take off a finger or two?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. Personally, I blame the Romans.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think he needs to admit he's an anti-semite. Because he clearly is.

But that's me.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

First off, you criticizing anyone on any sort of time-related issue is outstanding.

Making it even more outstanding is the fact that you're four-day-behind-the-rest-of-the-world dumbass obviously missed the first apology from Gibson, which was released on Saturday.

12. A lot of the frog DNA in Gibson's snuff film came from the writings of a lunatic "seer" named Emmerich who was as clearly as anti-Semite as ever was.
    Quacks like a duck.
    Oh, and Braveheart sucked, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted