1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Tells the Jews He's Sorry (after ABC mini-series cancelled)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

MEL SAYS SORRY TO THE JEWS
    Tue Aug 01 2006 11:10:45 ET

August 2, 2006 -- There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of Anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God’s child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I’m not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It’s about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.

END http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Did you know Jesus was a Jew?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Mel Gibson isn't Jewish? WTF! :eek:

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

These predictions of doom for Mel are just crap. You know he'll play the "prosecuted by the liberal media because I believe in God" card, O'Reilly and Hannity will each fellate his ego for an hour and bash ABC, and this too will pass.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If there is one thing the Bible teaches -- it is to hate Jews. ::)

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I'm not too sure, the Mouse House moved pretty damn fast in cutting ties to Mel yesterday.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Maybe Mel's been hangin' with Eric Cartman a little more than he should.

9. Who goes on a rant about Jews when they are pulled over for drunk driving?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Who doesn't?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, I found it about ABC, for those who care...

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-08-01T155450Z_01_N01378224_RTRIDST_0_ENTERTAINMENT-GIBSON-ABC-COL.XML

And interesting, they were developing it with a man whose father believes it never happened.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but I found that hilarious.  :D

Draft saved Draft deleted