1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Gibson: even crazier than we thought?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 11, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/joe-eszterhas-letter-mel-gibson-36949

Joe Eszterhas writes a long, long (eight pages) letter about the failure to make The Maccabees, billed as the "Jewish Braveheart." He outlines Mel's outbursts, including a doozy at Mel's compound in Costa Rica. Among the accusations, Eszterhas' 15-year-old son went for a walk with Mel one day and Mel said of ex-wife Oksana, "I want to fuck her in the ass and stab her while I'm doing it." The Costa Rica trip supposedly resulted in Eszterhas' family sleeping with weapons next to them in case Mel got really crazy.

Lots of anti-Semitism alleged, and conspiracy theories mentioned including one in which a cardinal killed a pope by sitting on his face. (!) Mel issued the standard denial and said Eszterhas is just mad because his script sucked.

Eszterhas is obviously one of the most self-serving people in all of Hollywood, and I'm sure his script sucked hard as Mel's response said it did. But the stuff he alleges, there should be a lot of witnesses based on the scenes detailed.

Grammar/spelling humor bonus: According to the letter, Mel apologized to the kid for his "reservoir of rage-filled puss."

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Somebody should tell Mel he's doing the donkey punch wrong.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Mel Gibson responds to the letter

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2012/04/mel-gibson-to-joe-eszterhas-your-writing-a-waste-of-time.html

Calls the script a waste of time, apologizes for the "colorful language"

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i thought this story, a link on the page of the letter listed above, was more interesting ... just sayin':

http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/lady-gaga-cover-exposed-boob-faces-ban-14761

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Getting too old for this shit.

[​IMG]

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pretty good.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's been well-known for awhile that Gibson had some pretty extreme views, but he was always able to spin it and come across as highly likable for a long, long time...

I wonder when exactly he went from being one of the most well-liked and bankable movie stars to being a batshit-crazy, misogynistic anti-semite.

I wonder if it was the release of The Passion of the Christ, or if he stopped taking his meds, separation/divorce from his longtime wife or what?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or he realized he's so rich that he doesn't have to hide it anymore.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If those outbursts actually happened, it has to be severe bipolar or schizophrenia or something. Maybe it's a late onset and maybe it's that he's off his meds, but the behavior described -- and the tapes that surfaced during the controversy with his wife -- show a man whose brain just isn't working right.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Remember that great website The A List? Had him as all of the above a decade or so ago. Man I miss that site.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That website also said every single Hollywood Star was a "Friend of Dorothy" That was a hilarious site.

I figure Gibson started his quest to make "The Passion" right around 2000 or so. I think the studios all telling him "no" and then him producing it on his own and having it become one of the most improbable smash hits of all-time probably made him feel like he could do no wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted