1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet The Press: Who should get the gig?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Re: MTP: Who should get the gig?

As far as Washington bureau chief/analyst duties, Todd would be a great choice. I don't know how well he'd handle MTP.

I remember him from his pre-NBC days on C-SPAN when he was with Hotline, so he's connected but I don't see him as a prosecutorial type.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Todd for bureau chief but not MTP. He's sorta low energy on-air, doesn't have much presence. Gregory has done vacation fill-ins before, knows the drill. He can sit in the seat but that's not quite replacing. John King might be better than Gregory but neither comes up to TR level of conveying to the pols that we're-all-in-this-game, not always familiarity but sometimes cut-the-shit.

(The above is a msg from a MTP fan who has walked around for two days (interrupted by a day's laundry) in his Meet The Press t-shirt. Who has on many occasions watched not just the 9 am broadcast but the 3:30 to 4:30 am replay.)

YD&OHS, etc

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This thread might get the attention it deserves if someone spelled out Meet The Press.

I read somewhere the day Russert died that Chris Matthews was the successor. I hope that's wrong.

I know he works for another network, but Stephanopolous (sp?) would be good. I know he's liberal, but I've always been impressed by him.

4. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

I know she has another job at PBS, but I think Gwen Ifill would do well in the job.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Scarborough doesn't have the game.

Matthews? Heaven help us.

Of the names out there, Gregory seems the best fit . . . but don't take that as an emphatic endorsement, because it isn't.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my choice of Gregory, his dalliance with the Bushies notwithstanding. He is after all skilled at the art of honing the pointed question.

I thought of Costas too, but too lightweight.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't think it's going to be Gregory. Brokaw at least through the election, then they'll figure out something.

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gregory gets it this weekend. And there's talk that he's the frontrunner for the job fulltime.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think Chuck Todd would fit into the Russert mold of someone who views themselves as a caretaker/custodian of MTP. I see David Gregory as someone for whom MTP would be another resume notch on his way to being an evening news anchor or something similiar. Todd understands politics better than anyone at NBC and is likeable in ways that the others are not. He doesn't have Russert's prosecutorial style, but Todd's kind of low-key manner can be lethal because it only makes the guest look worse when they stammer and dissemble because the questions are seemingly without guile. If Russert had a fault, it was that he practiced a form of gotcha journalism that was more concerned that you changed positions rather than why you changed. Todd's style might take the show in different, and better, directions.

Also, if NBC goes back to old panel questioning formart, they need a moderator/anchor who can play traffic cop without tripping on their ego. Todd is perfect for that role.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure not too many people are envying Gregory right now, except maybe Gregory himself.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

he'd never get the gig for many reasons, but i'd want to see carville host it a few times before they fill it full time.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At this point Chris Wallace becomes the leader in the clubhouse as the host with enough cojones to ask "Russert like" questions that leave guests looking both ways for Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted