1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the Left's David Duke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Gay Unions...oh wait, they do hate those in another context...

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not following any of this now.

The David Dukes thing is misguided to me. But David Dukes was a racist. Charles Barron has said a lot of anti-white, and particularly anti-semetic things. So I guess he is a racist. He has a long history of it. So, OK, you want to equate the two of them.

I'd suggest the former KKK member is scarier than the black guy from East New York who now rails against everyone and everything. The Black Panthers, as misguided as they are, were not the KKK. They were the result of blacks being really disaffected. The KKK was borne of pure hatred.

His anti-capitalism stuff has nothing to do with any of that. In Charles Barron's defense (and I can't believe I am using those words), he is remarkably consistent in the things he shouts about. He also knows the more inflammatory he is, and the more outrageous, the more press he gets.

He picks Jews to get maximum exposure -- in NY that works every time. He thinks whites are out to get black people. And he thinks anything with any amount of money to it is a conspiracy to hurt poor people. Thus, capitalism sucks, I guess.

That said, he wrote something for the Amsterdam News after the TARP bailouts, which was rambling and tried to connect way too many things, but was on point about the bailouts themselves. He basically criticized us giving hundreds of billions of dollars to large banks, when the attitude toward everyone else is "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." He was right. I wouldn't agree with him that the government should be running up debt and handing out checks to people instead of companies, though. Our government shouldn't be in the business of either. And I believe he railed against Mike Bloomberg in that piece for being wealthy and suggested Bloomberg cut a billion or two out of his fortune and just give it to people if he wanted to actually help anyone -- as if Bloomberg is evil just by virtue of being a wealthy Jew. But as far as calling the TARP bailouts wrong and sickening and a case of crony capitalism, he was actually right on point if you cut past his abrasive and inflammatory way of trying to get attention.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

Yup.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Perhaps a mild rhetorical criticism of capitalism is not equivalent to leading an organization devoted to the systematic eradication of minorities.

5. J Staley

J Staley Member

False equivalences are fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted