1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical treatment music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So a friend, who is also a sportswriter, posed a question, he has to get 30 minutes a day of cancer treatment
    It will roughly run for seven weeks
    He was told to listen to music while getting the treatment, but he figures that anything he likes, he'll end up hating because he'll associate that music with his cancer.
    And it can't be like death metal rock or something similar. It has to be something that won't get him worked up.
    It needs to be about 17, 18 hours worth of music.
    My first thought was get a band like, say, REM, and listen to their entire catalog from start to finish.
    Another thought was, hey let's ask some of the geniuses who inhabit SportsJournalists.com and see what they think.
    And I remembered back to when DD went looking for music to impress his lady friend, and he came away with many fine suggestions. So in that spirit, fire up the ipod playlist and let the music flow.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Background: The writer in question is a mutual friend of Jay and I. It's tonsil cancer, so his head and neck will be immobilized during the radiation treatment.

I've suggested a "Learn to Speak (insert foreign language)" CD.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's 24.5 hours of music.
    Why not just bring what he feels like listening to that day? That way he doesn't get sick of one particular perfomer or genre.
    He could take some podcasts occassionally (USC has some great lectures) or just take a section of his general music library to put on shuffle.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

First, best of luck to your friend.

Second, some Buffett ought to mellow him out nicely.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Ryan Adams [/crossthreading]

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I actually thought about him. Start with Whiskeytown, then the solo stuff, and on to Cardinals. With everything thrown in between.
    It would take a lifetime to listen to Adams's complete catalog.
    I found online two entire albums that hadn't been released. Sad Dracula if you're curious.
    As for the other thing, I suggested loading up on the albums Paste sends out with the magazines and giving them all a whirl. It would be something different and probably bands he hasn't heard before.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Jack Johnson.

That will chill him the fuck out.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Shins.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I always find that talk radio makes time go faster (like on long drives). It just allows you to focus elsewhere. I hugely recommend the Ricky Gervais podcasts, which you can get free on itunes and elsewhere. Really funny stuff.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It would probably sound good, but the doctor might not want him laughing when he's trying to treat his tonsil.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well, sure, there is that.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I had a serious shoulder injury due to a 20' fall at work several years ago. I needed to have an MRI to determine the damage so they stuck me in the tube. Not the most pleasant feeling, though I am not claustrophobic or panicky. Since I had to be in there (head-first, all in basically) for half an hour, they stuck headphones on me and asked what radio station I liked to listen to. I told them to put on the FM Talk station in town. Unfortunately, they did not and fired up the easy listening station. After about 20 minutes of drek, on comes Celine Dion. I SERIOUSLY thought of pushing the panic button, just to get the hell outta there. Fortunately, I didn't and finished the test without any further issues.

Moral- no Celine Dion!!

Draft saved Draft deleted