1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical Insurance - the Next Benefit to Go

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And that gets to the one arm tied behind our back point I made. Since we can't discuss
    you know what it is not possible to have a complete discussion

2. Boom_70

Another reason why employees would be better shopping for their own insurance through state
    exchanges. They would know exactly what their insurance cost. No black box effect.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Reported to moderating team

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Again, this has been slowly happening for at least 20 years. Dwindling, dwindling, dwindling ... more money, more money, more money. When it finally goes away it won't be because of Obamacare. It will be because of greed and lack of respect for employees. And we just might be glad Obamacare is in place to fall back on. Imagine what the insurance companies would pull if they had the chance.

And comparing health care to a cell phone plan is absurd. Heatlh care is virtually a necessity, and if you don't think so you must not go the doctor often. I've spent about 1800 out of my pocket this year, and I haven't had anything close to a major issue. And I have decent insurance (though not nearly as decent as it used to be).

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sadly, this is pretty much on point. The biggest problem most of us face is that our work isn't valued anymore and we just don't matter.

6. Boom_70

How much did you spend on cable and cell service last year? I bet it was more than $1800

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I probably spent more than that on food and gas too. What's the fucking point? And I'd spend 10 times that if I had to buy my own insurance. Seriously? This is where we're going. I'm just an entitled bitch, I guess.

8. Boom_70

You have no problem paying $1800 for cell or cable service, why the problem with paying
    $1800 for your health care?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true. But it's not the employer's fault. It's not up to an employer to "value" your work. It's up to you to make your work valued.

Think there aren't some employees at Google or Apple whose work is valued and whose employers will bend over backwards with perks and benefits to keep them (or lure them away from the other company)?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it exactly. But it's a lot of money when I'm used to paying a $25 co-pay. And as has been said, it's just another sign of the loss of respect for the middle-class worker. If I no longer had employee health insurance, surely if I paid 18 grand for it, I wouldn't still have to pay 2 grand out of my pocket. And again, I pay a lot of money for a lot of things I don't need. That has nothing to do with this argument. If they took away all benefits and gave me what they paid for it in my check, I'd be fine with that.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. So I guess should all just work hard to end up at two of the biggest companies in the world.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No. It's up to you to identify what your company values and to make yourself as valuable as possible.

If you're unable (or unwilling) to do so, there's no great shame in it. Most people cannot make themselves truly stand out to their employers. But you should not feel insulted that your employer doesn't value you if this is the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.