1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical Insurance - the Next Benefit to Go

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't be stupid, they're not gonna give the employee one goddamn nickel of that $16,800. It's going into Mr. Publisher's pocket.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

And making the turn with a one-stroke lead is Starman.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

there's more industries than publishing.

The expectation that most employees have for health insurance is unreasonable because they have no idea what it really costs.

4. Boom_70

That's silly. This is a discussion, not a contest with winners and losers.
    Starman likes to turn every SJ discussion into the Red River Shootout.

5. Starman

Who gives a fuck what it costs, employers can either offer it or lose employees to other employers who will. That's the way the vaunted free market works.

THIS IS ALSO PART OF THE CONSPIRACY: the relentless online drumbeat, the talking-points messaging, the social conditioning that the value of labor is essentially nothing and workers must be damn grateful for anything the employers deign to offer, and expecting (or asking for) anything more is greedy and ungrateful.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I already said I would gladly make that trade. But they are never going to give that money to the help. I'd invest my own money as well. If I got a $10,000 raise I'd gladly do all of that on my own. But it'll never happen. I'll end up doing it all on my own on the salary I make now. So I'll be even closer to losing my house or having the power turned off ... Wonderful times for the worker bees.

7. Starman

If employees have learned anything in the last 6-8 years, it should be that employers are the fucking enemy, whose only interest is drill-pressing as many drops of blood as possible out of your bleeding corpse before they sell you off to the butcher shop for pennies per pound.

And any employee who returns any more loyalty, effort or commitment in return is a goddamn sucker. They'd slit your throat and sell you to the Alpo packing plant for 50 cents.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think it would've been that much lower. It couldn't have been. With the union, it was $8.10 an hour. Yes, that was WITH the union, at a major chain, and it was barely above minimum wage. The point is, I remember being in such shock about that, that I started asking around a little bit, and found out that a cashier there (because a cashier job is considered kind of a coveted position in a grocery store) was only making $9.25 an hour after she'd been there six years. Again, I remember being kind of shocked in a disappointed, disbelieving way.

I do believe that, sure, it'd be nice to have whatever job protection I could if I thought I was truly being wrongly terminated in a legitimately arguable case. But you should know that most people in county jobs -- at least full-time ones -- are lifers and long-term employees. People don't leave, usually, unless.they are temps, part-time, or extra-help, status-wise. People basically are hired in at the status they are intended to have, and it rarely changes, anyway.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If you honestly believe these words, you're just an angry unhappy person --- or you're a moron.

Perhaps you're a troll seeking attention with an argument, to which I will no longer engage in because of the stupidity of your stance.

Entitlement, unreasonable employee expectations. Yeah, you keep slinging that shit and sooner or later someone will believe it. Just not me, pal.

10. Boom_70

In 3 years most employees will be selecting their own health care plans through state networks.
    Companies will be out of the health care entitlement business.

11. Boom_70

What are you afraid of in shopping / paying for your own insurance?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hence, the need for unionization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.