1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MediaNews, others and Yahoo come together ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_4689818

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

interesting.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This sets up the rest of the media consolidation nicely.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

When can we expect the first job cuts from Lean Dean?

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Don't even joke about that. Some of us still work for Lean Dean. And things are a little unstable to say the least. :-\

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

In my opinion, this is the future of newspapers.

Because newspapers didn't have the foresight to form this sort of partnership themselves and allowed Yahoo and Google to essentially invent their own market, I think this sort of arrangement will be commonplace. Essentially, we have reached a fourth dimenson of media conglomeration.

In 20 years, 90 percent of the world's information will be owned by either Yahoo or Google.

It makes sense: they've always needed content, but for years, we've been allowing them to steal it via search engines. Now, finally, newspapers might be getting their piece of the pie.

7. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Seriously. Myself and a close friend of mine are at nearby, different MediaNews shops. To say the least, we're both looking over our shoulders daily waiting for the axe to fall.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Look at Dean's history. The axe will fall in many places. Sorry. It's what he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted