1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media treatment of Bonds has been foolish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Aug 15, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How can so many sportswriters have gotten this wrong?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What's entertaining about it?
    You people have drained whatever joy used to exist in this game with this ridiculous dismissal of one particular player doing what a significant portion of his colleagues was doing. If Bonds' record is tainted, the whole era is tainted. Because he wasn't alone among hitters, and he wasn't facing pitchers who were 100 percent clean.
    You make up stories about the players you want to believe are clean. That's the best part. Let's root for so-and-so. Yeah, he's never done this stuff.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Twoback, I won't disagree with you except to say no one has claimed it was "just" Barry. It just so happens that Barry's the most visible target. Knowing this era likely has been tainted by PED use among MANY players hasn't lessened my enjoyment of the game. Hearing about Barroid and everything surrounding him has, however, curtailed the amount of time I spend watching sports news shows. But the same would be true if it were <insert any player's name here>.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Like the lawsuit he was going to bring against the SF Chronicle, eh?

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I find the word more dangerous than the N-word.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Surely you don't doubt the great and almighty Barry now, do you?

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I don't dismiss Bonds as a great player. He was. I dismiss his records, because I believe they are tainted. I dismiss the "others did it too" argument whenever it pops up, as I have since the avoided impeachment of Richard Nixon.

I have my doubts about one player I rooted for heartily as recently as a very few years ago. But this guy is a decent human being who always treated others decently, and so I choose to think better of him. And, there's no evidence against him other than the creatine in the training room he visited daily--is creatine a gateway product?--and the fact that he added a few pounds of muscle late in his career.

That's a fan's take. I'm not covering this story, thank goodness. I don't envy those who have to handle it in a businesslike, serious manner. This story is twisted, obscure, and invaded by all sorts of social sentiments. That's also what makes it an endless source of fascination.

And, who knows, maybe one or two who post here are directly involved. That would produce some passion on the subject.

9. creamora

creamora Member

Philisopher,

You are simply DEAD WRONG! Bonds DID NOT ADMIT TO USING THE CLEAR AND THE CREAM!
    I'm very tired of hearing this misinformation stated. The Chronicle reporters misrepresnted what Bonds said in their articles and their book. This was a very big disservice to the public. Reporters need to STOP REPORTING this incorrect information. The Chronicle reported what Bonds said inaccurately, PERIOD.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Could you provide us with something to back that up, please?

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Cream, hate to be picky but you do realize that the meaning of your last line is this:

The Chronicle reported Bonds' inaccurate statements.

Thus, if the Chronicle reported that Bonds testified he didn't knowingly take any roids - ::) -- that statement is not accurate (a lie) and, well, you know the rest.

Now that I think of it, that sounds pretty good to me. Barry thought he was using BenGay for those aching muscles.

Short story long, you meant to write: The Chronicle inaccurately reported what Bonds said.

Carry on. ;D

And for the record, in my book he was a first-ballot HOF before the illegal and unethical drug use and still is.*

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Still waiting, Creamora.

Draft saved Draft deleted