1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media treatment of Bonds has been foolish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I assume you're trying to insult me with cartoon references.
    Sorry, not going to work.
    I haven't watched cartoons in about 35 years.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you assume herb is a PED ... grounds for being labeled a dumb dumb.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

At some point, I'm sure this thread is going to return to English.
    Can somebody send me a memo when that happens?

Oh, now I get it. PED -- performance enhancing drug.
    No.
    It's an illegal drug. The revisionists want to say that Bonds' alleged use of, to use your term, PEDs makes his record invalid and that he is a "cheater" because even though it was not against the rules of the game, it was "illegal."
    Well, if this invalidates all records, then smoking dope has to do so, too. And underrage drinking for all our fine young men playing college football. And so on, and so on.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

memo to twoback: weed, pot, mary jane, herb, ganja, reefer, the chronic, cabbage, grass, puff the magic dragon, smoke, green day, dope, johnnie, hippie lettuce, 4:20, bud, garden gnome and the sticky icky is not a PED.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

See above.
    And memo to Petty: toking will still get you booted out of the NCAAs and the Olympics.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yo twoback, it's not about being illegal, it's about the integrity of the game.

maybe i have to define the word integrity for you as well before you get it.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Anyone who confuses the effects of weed and PEDs is certainly someone who won't have watched cartoons for 35 years. And dammit, there's absolutely nothing wrong with watching cartoons.

C'mon Twoback...if you have even a historical sense of drugs, there is a very key difference between PEDs and weed. PEDs can help you hit home runs. I'd like to see a player out there who hit more home runs while baked than while sober. I'm willing to bet there aren't any.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

So, any major-league could have injected any performance-enhancer he wanted into his body, just because there was nothing in the rulebook about it.

Hmmmm. There's nothing in the major-league rulebook that says you can't shoot the second baseman to try and break up a double play. Perhaps Jose Offerman can try that if he ever gets back to the bigs.

Steroids without a prescription are against the law of the land, and have been for some time. Period. And while Fay Vincent's 1991 memo, and Bud Selig's 1997 memo, might have been with toothless enforcement, they were clear nonetheless, and they shouldn't be ignored just because somebody says so.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Joe, do we really want to go implying things like that, especially since nothing I wrote indicated that? I was simply trying to point out that there as there is a difference between PEDs and weed, there also is a difference in how those things would affect a player. And only one of those two drugs would have the effect of making the player artificially better.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I wasn't replying to you, Alley.

I clarified my post. Hope that helps.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The integrity of a game whose history includes corked bats, stealing signs with binoculars, a manager betting on his game, a thrown World Series, a cancelled World Series, Ty Cobb, pine tar from here to Kansas City, emery boards in the pitcher's glove, spitballs, greaseballs, throwing at a batter's head because he did his job by hitting home runs-- you mean all that integrity? Is that what you're trying to preserve? Well, then, by all means ...

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and how'd that turn out for the 1919 sox? how's it turned out for every player caught with a corked bat? how'd it turn out for rose? how does it turn out for every pitcher caught doctoring a baseball?

jesusfuckingchrist, you just made my point for me.

and while we're at it, everybody is jumping off a bridge in boise, idaho, today at noon. you gonna join them?

Draft saved Draft deleted