1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media treatment of Bonds has been foolish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When you plead guilty, you are, in fact, convicted.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only problem I have with your argument, Ty, is that you use the phrase "could have." If you are so dead-set that steroids caused Bonds to hit 73 homers in a season and 759 in his career, then you shouldn't qualify it with "could have." You should just come out and say it.
    I agree with the column to the point that no other major leaguer has hit 73. And the media conveniently ignores the fact that pitchers have been on steroids as well.
    I thought it was a good column. I think the Donaghy part means this column was written a couple of days ago, though his editors should have forced him to change it with the breaking news from this morning.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I like Whicker, but this is lame.

The "steroids weren't illegal in baseball" argument ignores that they were illegal in the United States without a prescribed medical purpose as of 1990, when Bonds was still a very skinny Pirate.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think if dyepack were here, he'd probably call you a childish fucktard. simply assigning the word "hater" to people who don't agree with your point of view is just that, juvenile and pretty god damned ignorant.

go plug your ears, stomp your feet and call everybody haters. and just like a child, you'll feel better about yourself even though the adults in the crowd will laugh and shake our heads at your petty ignorance.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Bonds apologists have plenty of company w/the vast bulk of majorleaguerdom, where the policy has been "don't ask, don't tell, and the public has ZERO right to know", for a long, long time.
    Right, Lawyer Tony? Right, Ozzie?

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I'd give my left nut to never have to read the word "hater" ever again.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah. Forty years in the business. Countless awards. The constant respect of his peers. What does he know???!!!!!

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hmmm. And marijuana is illegal. We gonna throw out the results every major leaguer/NBA player/NFL player who smoked a joint in the past four decades?
    What'll you have left?
    If baseball and baseball players wanted steroids to be against the rules of the game, they had every opportunity to make it so. (And please do not bother coming back at me with this image-gilding that Fay Vincent -- the most overrated man on the planet -- is doing by saying he personally outlawed them in 1991. It is the most ridiculous story I've ever heard. You don't whisper the laws. You make sure people know about them).

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the great gazoo lives for responses such as this.

10. I agree with the sentiment overall if not the "not illegal in baseball" argument.

ESPN did sort of provide a balance to all the overwrought hand-wringing. Their ex-player broadcasters were mostly supportive of Bonds and the two anchors who came on during the special Sportscenter were falling all over themselves over how proud they were to be reporting on history. But the definition of balanced reporting is not the presentation of two extreme opinions.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Whatever that means.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what did the great gazoo always call fred?

Draft saved Draft deleted