1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media relations and broadcasting manager, Newark (N.J.) Bears

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jan 1, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://atlanticleague.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=27255

Media Relations and Broadcasting Manager - Updated Listing - Newark Bears (Newark, NJ)

General Responsibilities :

•Coordinate all media relations for the Newark Bears.
    •Manage game operation of the press box(s). This includes food/drink, seating, and related equipment.
    •Hire, schedule, train and manage any necessary gameday press box staff.
    •Act as official scorer and line score operator if necessary.
    •Write, distribute and promote all organizational press releases.
    •Write daily game notes, game summaries, and other daily informational material during the season.
    •File TAS game reports with SportsTicker after each game and report scores and highlights to all media cutlets.
    •Actively pitch stories and ideas to media outlets to insure positive coverage and exposure year-round.
    •Pay special attention to radio and television broadcast partners at home and on the road to insure they have sufficient organization information and statistics.
    •Create and maintain the organizational website(s). This should include current stats, photos, sponsorship, merchandise, sales, ticket, ballpark, promotional, and team related information.
    •Get price quotes, write and layout annual yearbook(s), brochures, pocket schedules and other print materials.
    •Create, write and layout Team Newsletter.
    •Train and manage seasonal intern.
    •Act as broadcaster for all 140 scheduled Bears contests on the Newark Bears Radio Network. Includes playoffs if team qualifies, all road travel (70 games), long hours, nights and weekends.
    •Handle all requests from media, including credentials, player access and management/ownership requests in a timely fashion.
    •Contribute significantly to sponsorship and ticket sales team (all sales are commissionable)
    •Contribute to the functionality of additional departments as needed. Provide leadership to the interns and administration.
    •Represent the team(s) in positive fashion year-round.
    •In season workday generally begins at 9:00 a.m. on game days and concludes following the completion of the game. In-season on non-game days work generally begins 9:00 a.m. and concludes at 5 p.m. Your position may require longer hours, weekends and holidays to complete necessary job functions.
    •Off-season work can begin at 8:30 a.m. and concludes at 5:00 p.m.
    •Be a team player. Actively participate in other operational functions as necessary. This includes pulling tarp, attending all scheduled events and meetings.
    Candidate requirements:

•4-year college degree with a minimum 2 year's equivalent experience in the public relations/journalism/communications field.
    •Previous on-air broadcasting experience
    •Previous experience as website administrator
    •Previous experience producing all print pieces for professional or college sports team including yearbook, media guide, scorecards, etc.
    •Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
    •Must possess very good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work well with a diverse group of people
    •Must be available to work game schedule and extended hours, including weekends during the season.
    •Must be capable of handling multiple projects.
    •Creative thinking and ability to work with a sense of urgency is required.
    •Must be proficient in computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and Outlook.
    Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Y/N: I have previous experience broadcasting college or professional sports.
    2. Y/N: I have previous experience producing print pieces for professional or college sports program.
    3. Y/N: I am willing to relocate at my own expense

2. rossyb

rossyb New Member

I worked here...First off I must say it was under different ownership and management...What people need to know is that Newark is a tough market, one of the toughest around...There is VERY little interest in the team and the team doesn't draw very many fans...I did my best to cultivate relationships with the media and actually did okay since I was with the club when we signed Rickey Henderson for the first time, actually picked him up at the airport...There are a lot of good PR guys in the league...Somerset and Bridgeport get beat covered home and road...Newark is just a tough place...Hard to get excited to come to work when there is no interest in the games...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, I was going to say this might not be the safest job in the world...I believe the team was about to fold at the end of the '08 season and got saved at the 11th hour by someone who wanted to make a big splash by signing every ex-big leaguer with a pulse. But the team still didn't draw flies, and I'm not even sure it made the playoffs.

There were some good Keith Foulke stories last year about how much fun it was to play in the middle of the day in front of nobody at all.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Keith Foulke played for the Cubs in the '70s? Does Barry Foote know?

5. rossyb

rossyb New Member

Steve Kalafer, the guy that owns the Somerset Patriots bought the Bears and tried to bring Newark baseball back...He failed, ran back to the suburbs and suckered Marc Berson into buying the club...Berson is an Essex County guy and had some good ideas but it didn't work out...The team was losing a ton of money...The team folded, Berson left and it appeared baseball in Newark was gone for good...Then, Tom Cetnar, a former Newark cop who was the team's second-ever GM, back when Rick Cerone owned the team, came in and rescued the team...He said the same thing at the press conference Kalafer and Berson said about bringing Newark baseball back...Bottom line, the area the ballpark is in is not that bad at all, and there is plenty of parking and light rail service to the games...The park itself is safe (however I do remember a time a guy snuck in in the middle of the night and attempted to smash an ATM only to find no money and his hands all bloodied which we had to cordon off with police tape)...The perception of Newark is what keeps people away, it really does...Plus, back in the day when Cerone was the owner and the Canseco brother's came thru there, the Star Ledger (literally a stone's throw away from the stadium) has had an acrimonious relationship with the team...Jerry Izenberg, the bigtime columnist who has since retired had an affinity for the Bears since he remembers the Negro League Days of the Newark Eagles....However, the team really isn't covered and plays in relative obscurity...It's fan club is comprised of mainly people from Middlesex County and down the shore which makes it tough on players and finding host families....

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why in God's name would anyone go from Middlesex County or the shore to Newark to watch the Bears?

I'm not saying they don't, mind, just wondering what on earth would possess someone to do that. Although, given the Globe article on Keith Foulke, it doesn't appear that anyone does. I enjoyed the fact that the story's author mentions more people on the field than in the stands, and yet the box for that particular game lists the attendance as 1,772. :D

What's ironic is that every paper -- and I'm sure the Star-Ledger does as well -- has a columnist who writes columns about the evils of video games and how families don't spend enough time together, and wouldn't it be great if people would provide something for families to do, blah, blah, blah. And then there's something like this, and it gets no attention. Not that it's a newspaper's job to promote the team, mind.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

7. rossyb

rossyb New Member

Trust me, a majority of the team's fanbase (if you want to call it that) comes from outside of Essex, Hudson and Union counties...I never understood why...The fan club is a small group of people, maybe 20-25 of them...I knew alot of the guys who didn't want to live at hotels at Newark Airport had to live down the shore or in Woodbridge, which is Middlesex County...I am telling you, the perception of the franchise is awful...

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Bears fail to draw for the same reason there are no good restaurants in northern New Jersey -- why spend money on a second-rate product when the real deal is just over the bridge?

9. rossyb

rossyb New Member

I would beg to differ...The Somerset Patriots draw a ton of fans...Seton Hall sold out their last two games at The Rock...

Draft saved Draft deleted