1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Racist With Hansbrough Lovefest?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stoney, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I read this article and realized that while Freeman can't be a racist because racism is institutionlized prejudice, he is a total biggot. What a jerk and what a pathetic piece of writing.

This column makes no sense. One minute he is bashing Hansbrough, then apologizing and singing his praises. Then he's bashing the media and calling the media racist and blah, blah, blah.

Anybody that would take this jerkoff serious is a moron. Who gives a rat's butt about Hansbrough and how good he is? I think the real problem here is a writer thought that the attention that Hansbrough receives is because of "lust" hungry media for a white savior. What a joke. If I would have been his editor, I would have told him this story was shit and it was being canned.

There has to be standards in all journalism no matter what a person's opinion is. His argument was pathetic, poorly thought out and was no more developed than a fourth-grade girl. This is just more crap like most of what cbssportsline.com puts out. All it did was remind me why I rarely read the stuff they put out.

Freeman sucks, so did this article and so does sportsline.

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

3. I think everybody is wrong here, and the best player in the nation is Kevin Love.

4. How can everybody be wrong? Either Freeman is right or he is wrong. Nobody has mentioned Love. So what. Get over it.

Now, either you agree with Freeman or you don't. That's the point of this thread. If you want to start a "who is the best in basketball thread" then go for it. Personally, I think you might be right although I will vote for Beasley on my All-American ballot. I'm voting Love second and Hansbrough third.

Still, either you don't see the problem with this jackasses column or you chose to ignore it. Freeman sucked on this piece, which was nothing more than a rambling arguement of nonsense that never went anywhere or made any valid points. If anybody has issues, he does, and it's his own biggotry not the white racism of the media.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another gritty, gutty hardworking competitor, needless to say, strong on fundamentals. ::) ::)

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can definitely see why ESPN or anyone else wouldn't want to devote a lot of press to the best player on the NO. 1 team in the country, particularly when, he is a great college basketball player and anyone who compares him to Hibbert is sniffing too many mushrooms.

Hibbert is the most over-rated enigma we've seen in years in college basketball and his value to that team is questionable at best -- he had ZERO tonight against Villanova and the Hoyas still won by like 20.

All Hansbrough does is bring it every single night, he is a tough-ass, gritty player with a lot of great post moves and more athleticism than most people give him credit for -- and his team is one of the handful expected to be in the Final Four.

The premise of this article is just plain stupid.

One other thing -- I remember Chris Jackson -- who later became known as --- forgive me for this butcher job on spelling -- Mohmad Abdul Rauf -- was often referred to as a gym rat and I know I've heard others, like Jordan, referred to as the same thing.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What does Hansbrough's "career" have to do with anything? Apparently he's already getting a lifetime achievement award from UNC, but he might have to wait awhile to get one from those voting for the POY.

And where has Beasley "hinted he might go pro"? I don't ever remember hearing that, so if you could back that up, that'd be fabulous.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not to be disrespectful, but while he hasn't addressed it personally this season, it's been for the most part a forgone conclusion to all and sundry.

http://www.kansascity.com/165/story/517565.html

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Joe Posnanski doesn't speak for Michael Beasley. I get your point, but that's not what I'm looking for.

His quotes on the topic have been hilariously similar to Durant's from last year ... "I don't know if I'm ready for the NBA" ... "I just really like the college lifestyle" ... crap like that. Of course he's going to go pro. Everyone knows that. He knows that. Anyone who would make the decision to go back to college arguably wouldn't be good enough to making decision to ever actually graduate college.

Still, he's said the right things. He hasn't "hinted" around about going pro.

I think he's the POY, but I don't have a huge problem with TH getting it. If K-State had four or five losses, he would have a lot better chance. It has nine or 10, though. It's same dumbass argument we all have at the end of every single sports season — should it be the best player on the best team, or the best player overall? This time, it looks like a lot of the major outlets are going with the best player on the best team.

That's fine. Saying it's TH in a landslide, and saying it for those reasons is stupid, though.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Beasley definitely suffers by playing at Kansas State. Anyone here who's trashing his game, though, OBVIOUSLY never has seen him play.

The kid is incredible. I will go out there right now and say he will be at least a 5-time All-Star in the NBA. Probably more.

He's as good as Durant in different ways. Hansbrough's a good player, but Durant and Beasley are on a whole different level.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Love is a better player than Hansbrough. He's not better than Beasley.

12. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Interesting that Freeman writes that column the other day, and then Kelly Whiteside writes a huge USA Today centerpiece today about Hansbrough's work ethic. Interesting to me, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted