1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Racist With Hansbrough Lovefest?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stoney, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10700001/rss

Well, here's a lightning rod piece. CBSSportsline's Mike Freeman pulls the ole race card in calling out the media on it's Hansbrough coverage. It's not artfully done, but I think the premise has some validity,race likely has clouded the over the top Hansbrough worship this season, but then so has the fact that he plays in Tobacco Road where ESPN seems to have its trucks permanently camped each winter. But, one thing: if Freeman honestly can't see the difference between the energy Hansbrough plays with and Hibbert or Oden then he's not watching.

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Re: Media Racist With Psycho T Lovefest?

Call me uninformed, but I have no idea who "Psycho T" is. I can only assume you mean Hansbrough.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I take it you don't watch much college hoops.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is Hansbrough REALLY that good, anyway?

espn.com had the article yesterday about how he was about to have his number retired, joining "a select group" at UNC . . then the story's photo showed 18 jerseys retired by the tar Heels. They're as "select" as the Boston Celtics when it comes to that stuff.

Amyway, I don't get the lovefest. Really, he's been a very good college hoops player. But a once-in-a-lifetime player? Who merits jersey retirement and constant adoration from SI and ESPN? Let's be honest here: by North Carolina standards, he hasn't won a damn thing in his career. Sure, he has this year's NCAA tourney to change that, but maybe UNC could wait for that before hanging his jersey in the rafters?

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Sorry, not up on nicknames. I watch preps and a very, very small fraction of pros.

6. Re: Media Racist With Psycho T Lovefest?

I think it's there to a degree with him and the Notre Dame kid both.

But with Hansbrough, it's just as much a Tobacco Road thing. Remember the "Chris Duhon is courageous and a gamer!" lovefest a few years back?

Now the Chicago Bulls can't wait to get rid of him because he's a cancer.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll say this, at the college level I'd take Hansbrough over Hibbert every damn day. Hibbert makes Ralph Sampson look like Rick Mahorn. Seriously, as overrated Hansbrough is, and he is, Hibbert is even more so. He's 7-2 and wishes he was a shooting guard.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Those are honored jerseys, which they do give out like candy. Hansbrough will the eighth number to be retired (a couple of early unknowns, Rosenbluth, Ford, Jordan, Worthy and Jamison). Essentially, you win one of six national player of the year awards and you're in.

I'll agree with the Tobacco Road bias, not racist, argument.

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Michael Beasley is so much better than Hansbrough, it's laughable. But I agree that this has nothing to do with race and everything to do with Tobacco Road.

Shane Battier was similarly lauded in 2001, Jason Williams, Duhon and J.J. Redick in the seasons thereafter. The 2005 Carolina team didn't have any one standout to pinpoint as THE guy to get excited over, and since Redick was eating up most of the press that season anyway, those Heels weren't overexposed nationally.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of college hoops, but I have no idea where this "Psycho T" asshattery came from.

Then again, I don't read a lot of college hoops blogs.

11. Re: Media Racist With Psycho T Lovefest?

Hansbrough is the reincarnation of Eric Montross. Very good college player, mediocre NBA player.

No contest Beasley is going to be a much bigger and better NBA prospect.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"gutty," "gritty competitor," "hard-working," "savvy," "fundamentally sound," "hustling," "coach on the floor," yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah.

aka: great white hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted