1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Bowl Gifts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alex.riley21, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Want a good idea for your freebies, SportsJournalists.commers? Regift for the holidays! I used to do that with golf shirts and they always went over well. So I didn't keep them and I got credit around the holidays for them. Unethical? I don't care. Didn't change the way I covered the event one bit and the sponsor still got the PR it wanted.

2. Oh, give me a break. Refusing gifts does not make you a pro. If the bowl offers me something, I'm taking it. My stance on free stuff is that unless it's something like a laptop bag, I'll take it, but I won't use it in public. For example, I just covered a basketball tournament that gave out shirts. I now use mine when I'm baking.

Where I come from, I laugh at the people who think they're somehow better by refusing to take what's offered to them. Go ahead and spend your money on things you can get for free. I have other things I'd rather spend my money on.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I got a golf shirt at one bowl I covered. Went golfing in it a couple times over the years. But I'm really bush league and amateur, so that makes sense.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

If you can be bought for a golf shirt, you're in the wrong business.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

If the shirt doesn't affect how you would cover the event, you haven't been "bought."

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I think we're saying the same thing.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This sounds like me... in my first college journalism ethics class.

Idealism is nice. But really, it's not favoritism if they're giving it to all media members. It's WAY different than allowing a source to pickup the check at dinner.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Would you use those logoed pens handed out at events?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be sure to carry some Ziploc bags next time, and you can bring home some free shrimp in your pockets.

10. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Absolutely. The guys chasing down the free swag are pathetic. Get your media guide and your stats package and hand back the other crap. Want to be treated like a real reporter? Don't act like a clown. Stay out of the hospitality rooms, game nights and other garbage. I hated even getting the free food in the press box, but if you are stuck there for 6-8 hours, you have to eat. I think madison square garden does it best where you have to make the donation to its charity to get the food.

And don't give me any crap about "I can't be bought for a laptop bag." Oh really? Then what can you be bought for? Because obviously you have some sort of set price for your objectivity.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I rode the free shuttle bus from the stadium to hotel while covering the World Series.

Damn. I know that must have showed up in my gamer the following morning. Damn. Damn. Damn.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. Most of us have been in press boxes when pr folks just bring stuff to every single seat. Don't want it? Leave it at your table when you go. But virtually no one does. Most take it home and regift. The ones who show up to the same event next year wearing last year's swag are morons. Maybe not unethical, but just supreme dorks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.