1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When Netanyahu decided to go into Rafah, any chance of a deal was dead. That's what I meant.

The U.S. may yet make a deal with the Saudis, but any chance of getting the Saudis to help broker a larger deal with the Palestinians is gone unless the Israelis back off on the invasion and destruction. I don't see that happening unless Bibi is forced out somehow.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Though one article I read indicated that there are at least a few positive economic indicators for the Tories right now, I suspect Sunak may have been taking his political advice from the ghost of Bobby Knight, if you get my drift.

I'm kind of pissed because British election night is fantastic theater (each constituency reads the votes live on a stage with all candidates present) and there's no way I can watch BBC live when at my family's cabin without everyone making fun of me.

The announcement, which Sunak did outside in the pouring rain while someone was playing the UK political anthem equivalent of "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac would be to a Republican, needed just a bad Dire Straits cover away from being real-life West Wing cosplay.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just missed this gem after escaping Europe as a youngun. Hasselhoff would've done it better.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Quit thinking anybody cares about the Palestinians.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe they don't, but at least seeming like they do as a form of political cover could very well be a factor in all this. What everyone should keep in mind is that if that deal happens, Hamas loses. That should be a goal everyone can get behind.

7. Neutral Corner

They care about the economic consequences of the conflict spreading into the larger Middle East. They care about money and power. They care about the cost of oil on the world market, which is directly affected by events there.

In a larger sense, Gaza and the West Bank have been an open wound and a sourse of friction in the region since 1967, and there is no chance of a lasting peace in the area until it is settled. There is no way to a lasting peace there that does not include a homeland with fixed and lasting borders for both the Israelis and the Palestinians and an agreement that both have a right to exist.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Prior to 1967, Gaza was occupied by Egypt. The West Bank was occupied by Jordan. They did less than zero to turn those areas into sovereign homelands for the Arabs living there, nor did they want the people who lived there anywhere near their actual countries. Since 1967, whenever something comes up, they run in the opposite direction from Gaza and the West Bank. Right now, with all the cries for humanitarian aid? Little from the Arab world. It's all coming from the U.S. and Israel. Egypt closed the Rafah crossing as a path of getting humanitarian aid in, rather than risk religious zealots coming into their country and creating instability (how they really feel about the people living Gaza). And you are kind of glossing over why those territories are now occupied by Israel and not the neighboring Arab countries the way they were prior to 1967. They kept attacking Israel and lost.

The corollary to what you posted is that there is no way to have a lasting peace if you create a homeland that is run by terrorists whose entire goal is to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Of course, two states living side by side in harmony would be great. Israel is not wrong, though, in the position that that will never happen with Hamas in Gaza. They'd be downright stupid to accede to that after October 7.

9. Neutral Corner

That's all true. It's also true that the various Arab countries (except Jordan) have done little to absorb or help the Palestinians. In some cases having it as an open sore that Israel had to deal with suited them, as those troops and resources deployed there weakened Israel's power in the greater region.

So Hamas can't run it. I'm seeing some signs that Israel might be willing to deal with the Palestinian Authority under different leadership. That would be necessary to get many Palestinians in on it as well. All I'm saying is that you can't bomb your way to peace. It will require two nations, a shitload of money, and an outside nation/coalition of nations as peacekeeper... and not the U.S.

Israel is repeating every mistake the U.S. made in Iraq.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Bibi is going to build Tomorrowland?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted