1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meadowlark Lemon, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Dec 28, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I went to a Globetrotters game in 1977, so I got to see all the stars. As a kid, it fascinated me how he could routinely make those half-court hook shots. Hell, as an adult it still fascinates me.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a great goodwill ambassador. And for you youngsters, yes he was good enough to play in the show but elected to become a showman.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In ESPN's obit, they also said Marques Haynes died in the spring. RIP to him as well. Always loved his dribbling stunts.

I was a little young for Lemon's stint with the Trotters, but I remember seeing him on TV with his All-Star teams, and on Scooby-Doo. I also saw some old tapes with the Trotters, including one very unique show where they went and played at the prison at Attica.

Red Klotz also just died recently died. I guess he needed to have someone keep hitting half-court hook shots against him in heaven. RIP.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, that and the guy busting his ass on the ski jump each week.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There were Globetrotters before, and thankfully they are still touring today - but Meadowlark was an all-timer. People say Jordan took the game global - nah - he was only the one who figured out how to make money on it globally.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Marques Haynes also was in a group called the Harlem Magicians after he left the 'Trotters.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The Globies played a jam-packed Meridian High gymnasium circa 1976 and I got to see Geese Ausbie, Curley Neal, Haynes, Lemon and it was a memorable night. I was in elementary school. The team has gone through numerous face lifts but rivals all acts in the entertainment industry for longevity. Rest easy, Meadowlark.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know that I saw them in their prime 1970s, and I was thinking I saw them in Greensboro, but I'm starting to think I saw them at a small high school in VA.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Imagine Trotter groupies they partied with in the small dive bars of the '70s.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And as we all know, they'll be going strong for another thousand years.

[​IMG]

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wilt was a Globetrotter for a year. He ripped off Meadowlark's confetti trick to use with the groupies, only it wasn't confetti.

Draft saved Draft deleted