1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME takes vacation on two hour notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cubbiebum, Apr 26, 2011.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Cubbie, ijag and Moddy are two of the best here. They are trying to help you by pointing out how easy you've made the ID. If this is your standard reaction to helpfulness, perhaps your boss expected you to be happy he was making your life more difficult.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. Be smarter than this. Maybe even ask nicely to have the thread removed. Do you really want this on the web forever? As 'tart said, people are trying to save you from yourself.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

some people refuse to be saved

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Some things on here are simply beyond my understanding, and this cubbie guy's attitude is certainly one of them.

He's not only rude and ungracious, but if he thinks he's safe from his boss finding out about this thread, he's also simply dumb.

Sure, maybe somebody would have to go out of their way to be mean to alert the right (wrong) person.

Of course, he's safe, because we live in a world where that kind of thing never happens. (And yes, cubbie, that last part was sarcasm, too.)

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

What I don't understand is people who judge someone's entire character off one thread on a message board. Was this thread in retrospect a mistaken, yes, did I mean it in the way it has been taken, no. I was frustrated and honestly wondered what others on here thought about it. I wasn't posting to call him out. I was posting to see what others reactions were because I was wrestling with what my reaction should be. I thought getting others with similar jobs opinions was the point of this board.

Yes people can trace this back to me if they really want to dig but I assumed because this board isn't like other message boards people wouldn't. Like I said I was sincerely wanting the opinion of the board. If I was just pissed off and wanted to rant and call my ME out I would have put a name with it.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You initial post wasn't the reason people judged you. It was clearly written in a moment of frustration.

It was your response to others trying to do you a favor that brought the hammer down.

7. Situation

Situation Member

Cubbie, you've been traced and outed. We know it's you. You're fired. Clean out your desk immediately.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Cubbie, we didn't judge your entire character based on this thread.

We questioned your wisdom for describing such a specific situation, names or no names. We questioned your ungracious response to those who were trying to gently tell you that maybe this wasn't the best idea. And we questioned your naivete in thinking that this message board was some kind of safe haven from the real world -- a journalism message board, frequented by people in the business.

You might be a wonderful guy otherwise, and who's to say you're not. This thread wasn't smart. Pretty simple.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Only at a newspaper would consecutive days off be described as "vacation."

Draft saved Draft deleted