1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME takes vacation on two hour notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cubbiebum, Apr 26, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'll bet you $20 the guy you're talking about already has seen your post(s).

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Priceless, IJAG, priceless. LMAO

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I worked at one paper where the daily sports budget was due to the copy desk by 7 p.m. The SE would usually go out for dinner at 5 and give them the budget when he returned....except for the once every two weeks or so that he just wouldn't come back.

I don't mean he said he was leaving for the night unexpectedly. He would say he was coming back in an hour and just not return until the next day. Wouldn't answer his phone. Wouldn't even acknowledge that he did it the next day.

Ah, good times...

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

A guy who isn't into sports and not very tech savvy belongs to a sports message board? When can I expect my $20.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

cubbie, I'll take that bet, too. Five-man shop? New kid? Mom in town? Took a couple of days on short notice? Very easy to figure out and I'm sure someone alerted him. You can do the Kevin Bacon game here and connect to just about anybody in four steps. You don't have to "belong" to the board to know what is being posted.

Like IJAG said, I hope it goes well when you interview. Calling a boss out in public with as much detail as you gave is never a good idea. If I truly cared and had about an hour, I'm willing to bet 200 I could figure out who you are and your boss' name.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The big difference is that he's the ME. Period.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Over-reacting much? I didn't say names. I simply posed the question if this is common and is it really unprofessional. Whoa buddy. Anyone who does the digging necessary to trace this back is a jackass plain and simple. I didn't call out anyone and didn't give any names. Someone tracing this back would be the same as telling this to a friend at home and he going and tattle-telling on me. Message board posts are meant for the message board. Unless they are extremely personal (like using a name and calling him a fucktard) they should stay where they were said. Guess I won't be posting much on here anymore for fear someone will keep a log and then go tell my boss.

That last part is sarcasm.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

People have figured me out pretty easily, and I'm not even a nobody in this business. You'd be surprised how deep the roots of this place run.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's 'cause you owed me $5, wicked.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. Not your buddy
    B. You've posed the question and, it could be interpreted, criticized the guy. My point - it isn't that hard to figure out. If I had the interest, I could. I don't. I'm just saying you are being a massive dumbass. That's all.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cubster, I agree that it would take a jackass to tattle on you.

Not sure why you'd want to feed the jackasses, though.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ace, I already told you, the strip club coupon is in the mail.

Draft saved Draft deleted