1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME calls out photog in print: good call or bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Wait ... The way I'm reading it is he showed them the pic on the display screen.
    I don't have a problem with that.
    If he took out a memory card and gave them files, that's a whole other ballgame.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

He's still not doing his job.

As a photographer or reporter covering an event, your job is to be a neutral observer and not get involved in the story in any way, shape or form. When this guy showed the cops the photos, it led to arrests of people who would not have been arrested otherwise, which changed the story.

To me, this is no different than giving up your source's name to the police when you receive information based on the condition of anonymity.

If you work at a newspaper, you are supposed to be an objective onlooker of life's events. Helping the police, as much as it is the right thing to do in the real world, creates a serious conflict of interest ethics-wise.

Plus, you know the code. No snitchin'!

(FWIW, I think this was a simple lapse of judgment and the guy shouldn't get fired but I could understand it if he did).

Draft saved Draft deleted