1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGwire (finally) admits steroid use.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, let's just have someone admit the REAL truth.

PEDs are good for athletes.

McGwire, Bonds and Sosa set records. Marion Jones wins gold medals. Tony Mandarich made millions because of them. So did Brian Bosworth. They helped Shawne Merriman win an NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award. The NFL is still fighting with the Vikings over two d-linemen who they want suspended over PEDs. Ben Johnson set Olympic records. Rafael Palmeiro would be in the HOF because of steroids if we didn't know he took steroids. The French are convinced Lance Armstrong won all their races because of PEDs. Roger Clemens became the best pitcher of his generation due to 'roids. It extends to Hollywood. Sylvester Stallone became the world's biggest action hero thanks to PEDs.

Time to end the charade. PEDs are NECESSARY to be an elite athlete. If it isn't the illegal, stick-a-needle-in-your-butt-in-the-bathroom-stall kind, it's baseball players getting diagnosed with ADD just to get Adderall. It's NFL players getting juiced up with painkillers so their throbbing knees make it through another game. It's two-thirds of the NBA toking up on any given night.

We lie to our children by telling them if you just work hard and eat your spinach (used by Popeye as a PED the same way McGwire used a syringe as one) and go to bed on time, you can be a star. Reality says otherwise. Time to own up to it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Andro was a legal OTC supplement at the tme. Anyone could buy it at GNC

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ace, I can't remember a time when we disagreed on anything. It's eerie.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Baseball needs to take a page out of the drag racing book and set up several leagues depending on the amount of performance-enhancing drugs used.

That way we could have a stock, super-modified and funny car league and player could do as much as they want depending on the league that they're in.

5. ripple

ripple Member

I found this funny.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He admitted what everyone already knew. Well, except a former almost walk-on for Cal.

Good for him.

He blew it when he had the chance a few years ago. He could have already done his faux penance and had moved on.

7. I'm very happy for him. Maybe it's naive of me, but I believe that this had to be destroying him inside for years. He wanted back in baseball, with a clear conscience. I'm as cynical about anybody about a lot of things, but I take this admission at face value. And some credit is due to the fact that it was not some parsed, lawyered admission like A-Rod's or Giambi's, but a full come-clean. Reminds me of Agassi's crystal meth admission. I believe people, all of us, make mistakes and I have a soft spot for people who are man enough to admit to them.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL! I love the way elements in the media are already stating how they're not mad, just disappointed, but HAPPY he's cleared the air and now he can lead a normal life.

That bed of millions he slept on with the help of steroids must've been very, very hard for him to sleep on.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Could not agree more. Let these guys be all they can be.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit.

I bet at the height of the scandal almost everyone in the damn league was juicing to some degree.

People need to get a fucking life.

Nobody, except for some pious assholes in the media, gives a shit about this, unless all of the cheers for ARod and Petitte during the past world series were mirages....

11. Rich people can't have a dirty conscience?

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't spend time being happy for rich people who can afford to get themselves a qualified shrink to help them deal with their problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted