1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGovern unloads on Cheney

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 25, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Whether wrong or right, retty much everyone who works in the executive branch works at the pleasure of the president -- generals, cabinet members, etc.

Clinton didn't fight a controversial war like this, so, no, there was no scandal.

As for why the attorneys were replace ... I don't know.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That comment should incite only....

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No. It was bullshit.

4. Honest question -- what about if you feel the President is a threat to the Constitution? What do you do in that situation?

5. Not to be pedantic -- OK, to be a little pedantic -- but the Constitution you mentioned was written by, and meant in large part to be operated by, you know, politicians.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, Ragu, if you could see a scorecard of my voting history, you'd see that I would almost certainly have voted for McGovern.

I can pick a loser from either side of the aisle with aplomb. My vote has been the kiss of death for many a great man, and I feel plenty of guilt for that.

Hell, I finally had the chance to vote for Walter Mondale for something and he lost to a used-car salesman from Massachusets.

Sigh.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just shows you know how to pick them, Zekie...and America is forever grateful. Well, most of it anyway.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, that's the problem.

Wars should never be "controversial."

They should be fought 1) as a last resort, 2) when it is the only obvious solution and 3) not half-assed with a spartan number of troops.

This administration decided to go to war with Iraq on Jan. 20, 2001.

They only needed an excuse that would let their lies sound believable.

9/11 provided that excuse.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes.

We all know that you are sure that Mondale and McGovern are terrible men, and you know this because of the D next to their names.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, I know this....

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?f=0&year=1972

and that...

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?f=0&year=1984

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And that's a good thing, because in the interim it brought us Reagan.

Cheney isn't close to being one of my favorite people; compared to Colin Powell, I think he's a dispicable bastard. But even at that, he's better than McGovern.

Maybe more than the premature declaration of victory, Bush's biggest err was putting Powell in a position of having to resign rather than speak out against his commander in chief. And that issue falls on Cheney and Rumsfeld. One is gone.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Would I lose any sleep if Cheney resigned? I was hoping for it before the re-election. Putting McCain in would have been a stroke of genius.

Draft saved Draft deleted