1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McEnroe Serena Sally

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 26, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Perspective | McEnroe vs. Serena: 44 years after ‘Battle of the Sexes,’ the same dumb debate

The can Serena beat a male player debate is old, useless and has been decided on this board many many times.

I just call attention to this sentence by Ms Jenkins

"Williams is not interested in one woman’s physical superiority over a middle-aged man — a point proved by Billie Jean King back in 1973 when she whipped 55-year-old Bobby Riggs in straight sets."

DearMs. Jenkins,

Please review the tennis matches played:
    May 13, 1973. Bobby Riggs aged 55 beat Margaret Court age 30 6-2 6-1.
    September 25, 1992 Jimmy Connors aged 40 beat Martina Navratilova aged 35 7-6 6-2
    1998 Karsten Braasch beat Serena 6-1 and Venus 6-2.

Nothing detracts from Serena's greatness as probably the greatest women's player ever (Mt Rushmore of Women's Tennis is a certainty).
    But women play a different sport than men. Same game, different sport. This applies to basketball, golf, swimming, weight lifting and hockey.

Nothing is added by calling McEnroe names or even apt descriptions, no new ground is tilled.

But ignoring facts is not your job, Ms. Jenkins, leave that to the amateurs in the White House and FoxNews.

Sincerely,

An actual subscriber to a newspaper.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

What about that sentence is false?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She doesn't have physical superiority over him.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I guarantee you John McEnroe never won any of his majors pregnant.

BTExpress and Gator like this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's not a point proven And infers that the one match settles a question that need not be asked.

6. lcjjdnh

She's not talking about Serena.

7. lcjjdnh

Try reading again.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's not a debate, Sally. It's an open and shut case.

9. lcjjdnh

Indeed, none of the evidence cited in your post has anything to do with the sentence you quote.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When Sorenstam was doing her thing at Colonial, I had co-workers saying "She could win, you know." And when I said no fucking way, they got way the hell bent out of shape.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's my question, how little confidence does one have that one needs to try to point out that a man is physically superior to a woman? Really? You need affirmation? I'm certainly not saying its universal, that every man is superior to a woman, but at the highest levels, there's no doubt so why ask?

IMHO its like throwing out racial slurs, when someone has nothing intelligent left to add, they go to race. Here, its gender.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Would you care to explain/clarify? Because like Eddie Murphy said about James Brown, I don't know what the fuck you're talkin' 'bout.

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted