1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's vs. Oxford English Dictionary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

His name is Irish and she's a redhead. What do you think?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I hate freelancing. I've done it in the past for a variety of subjects, and it just feels like a ton of extra work for little, uneven pay. I especially hate starting a story cold, with no relationships with sources, which is what you often have to do when freelancing.

No way Redhead sleeps with Irish. Redhead is your classic 7 (on a 1-10 scale) who enjoys those times when she's the prettiest girl in the room, because it doesn't happen as often as she'd like. Breakfast Club Girl might if they hang out on the weekends, which I don't know if they do or not.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like Rick has his eye on the redhead. :)

Good luck.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hey, find out if the curtains match the drapes. You then will have formed a relationship with a source and have great material for a freelance story!

5. RickStain

I am way, way too old to be trolling the grease trough for a grill to finish on.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This thread is a great resource to help wean people off eating fast food.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Rick could be mentioned in a New York Times article. I know they've been around his neck of the woods. I see a sob story, whether Rick wants it or not.

8. RickStain

Anything bad that has happened in my life, and there's not much of it, has been entirely self-inflicted. No sob story.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The New York Times can turn anything into a sob story. I see the hed now, "How the downturn hits everyone, Sports writer forced to sling burgers".

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Friend of mine worked at McD's in high school.

We'd party until 12 or 1, then he'd go grab two hours sleep and be there at 3:30 a.m. to start cleaning the parking lot with a pressure washer. Said it was easy money.

Another friend worked in the back making burgers, and hocked a giant loogie on a Quarter Snotter one night when a guy in line by me insulted him. Billy watched through the little window on the door as the guy ate it and then told me later. I didn't blame him a bit.

Over/under on Irish bagging RedMcGriddles: 18 days

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'm with ya, Rick. I just started doing the same thing...my third tour at McD, counting high school and about two years from 2005-07. I'd been looking since January. We do what we have to do. I'm doing days, about 6-2 or so. I'm working at the busiest store in the territory... it's been nonstop all day since I started. A prime store for beach traffic, they say...

Picking it up again pretty quickly except for the McCafe stuff... lots of combinations there. My store seems to have a big wall between grill people and cashiers...I'm up front mainly so far...

Was thinking I'd try to do 40 hours for awhile to dig out of the hole..but I don't know how I'm going to manage that at the pace this store keeps. I was exhausted by the time I got to the paper at 3. And football is right around the corner.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I tried being an assistant manager at the BK Lounge once. Was great for a summer, but had to quit because the boss wouldn't give me Fridays off to cover football games.

Draft saved Draft deleted