1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCourt to Boras: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 27, 2009.

  1. heyabbott

    heyabbott Well-Known Member

    "We want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said in a statement. "When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to restart the negotiations."
    "Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents, we actually improved our offer," McCourt said.
  2. indiansnetwork

    indiansnetwork Active Member

    Boras is on his way out as a agent. Manny or Varitek were not smart enough to see he was screwing them. How many players will he screw before he is forced into retirement.
  3. Rumpleforeskin

    Rumpleforeskin Active Member

    Probably just as many as Alyssa Milano, if not more.
  4. outofplace

    outofplace Well-Known Member

    I posted this on the Spring Training thread, too.


    According to Steve Henson, the offer Boras turned down would have paid Ramirez only $15 million for 2009, $22.5 million in 2010 with a club option for $22.5 million in 2011. That option would come with a $7.5 million buyout.

    Boras is still holding out for $25 million in 2009 and a $20 million player option in 2010. I hate to defend the guy, but the decision to turn down the Dodgers' latest offer makes a little more sense if this report is true.
  5. heyabbott

    heyabbott Well-Known Member

    When owners start to act like they only have to pay a dollar more than the next guy, Boras will be Shit out of luck
  6. poindexter

    poindexter Well-Known Member

    Maybe Boras should have taken the offer given in November, without all the deferred money, instead of inferring that it was insulting.

    Boras is acting like he's selling a house and clinging to 2006 sales comps. The market has changed.
  7. outofplace

    outofplace Well-Known Member

    No doubt. i'm just saying it makes more to me now. I had been under the impression that they turned down $45 million over two years from the Dodgers, with $25 million in '09 and an opt-out for '10.
  8. cranberry

    cranberry Well-Known Member

    I have no idea about the status of Manny's contract discussions with the Dodgers. I will say, however, that predicting the demise of Scott Boras has proven time and time again to be a futile endeavor.
  9. Simon_Cowbell

    Simon_Cowbell Active Member

    Isn't he deeply involved in directing his clients' funds to Allen Stanford?
  10. heyabbott

    heyabbott Well-Known Member

    Boras is not as disliked as David FalkFaulk, though.
  11. Simon_Cowbell

    Simon_Cowbell Active Member


    Speaking of which.... as awful as this is, the headline just drops me to the floor.

  12. cranberry

    cranberry Well-Known Member

    I don't know. Here's what the NYTimes story says:

    (Boras) said that his company did not invest any of his clients’ money. But one of the company’s subsidiaries, Personal Management Consultants, audits the investment advisers chosen by players, raising red flags when necessary. It also keeps track of the players’ paychecks and other financial matters.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page