1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to stage his own walkout on the Pirates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jul 6, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Stepping down as CEO.
    No word yet if Zambelli has been contacted by any fans.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07187/799784-100.stm

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Maybe the "walkout" did send a message to KevyMac.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

One of the Pirates blogs did their second annual "Pirates Movie" cast recently and once again, the part of McClatchy was played by Waylon Smithers. Hilarious. (Pittsburghers get that joke in full)

Seriously can you believe he's only had one baseball man as Prez or VP of the team? No wonder they haven't won in 12 years of his poor stewardship. But hey, at least one of the cheapest newspaper families in the country runs things now.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

With any luck he and his family will walk out of the newspaper business as well.....

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, because the McClatchy chain has been so bad for journalism.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have a feeling this nationwide search ends with a candidate based in Wheeling. Just a hunch.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

No search needed is my guess as well.

8. C.R.E.M.M.

C.R.E.M.M. New Member

I don't think it will matter who comes in. As long the hand holding purse strings remains the same so too will the Pirates.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You may want to quantify cheap. Is their pay less-than-stellar? Yes. Do they actually staff their papers fully? Yes. In this day and age, a company that's committed to fully staffing their papers ain't necessarily "cheap."

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The same Yinzer Pittsburghers that believe McClatchy was running things are the same ones who believe the story that their brother's neighbor's cousin is a Pittsburgh cop and caught Kordell Stewart pumping some guy in Schenley Park. This is Nutting's baby. Always has been. McClatchy was just the front man.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The first couple years, before the Nuttings silently bought up ownership shares, I'd say McClatchy was in charge.

Now Bill and Bob won't have anyone else to blame. It'll be their fault. Let's see how they do in the limelight; my prediction, there won't be much of a change.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

In that time, McClatchy was definitely Pittsburgh's It Boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted