1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to eliminate 1,600 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Igor in CT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can definitely see your point. Unfortunately, especially in these times, sometimes family time has to take that backseat to the paycheck. It definitely sucks, though. When I think of the stuff I miss with my family by working nights and weekends, it hurts me, too. That's why, to cope, I think of the good things about my job. I enjoy the people I work with, and I'd like to think that every once in a while, what I do makes a difference. If I didn't, I'd be hating myself every day.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Keep in mind there will likely be plenty of open positions frozen and eliminated within the company.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

baron, i hope you keep track of how many years you repeat those words to yourself.

4. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

Man, no wonder everyone on this site is so fucking miserable all the time.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I am. It's going on 10 years. That's why I try to think about the good stuff in my job. Otherwise, I'd go stircrazy.

6. Where papers have included separate numbers for open positions eliminated, such as Miami did, I have used those numbers. We're still not even close.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

baron - i hope your newspaper and newspaper friends are there to tell you how much they love you when you're on your deathbed.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. None of you have ever told your kid, ``Sorry, but I can't go to your soccer game today. I've got to work.'' Or said to your wife, ``I know I promised we'd go out tonight, but a story's breaking and I can't.''

That's what he's talking about. If you have the guts and the bank account to tell the boss you're not working this weekend -- even though you're scheduled to work the rim Saturday night and no one will trade shifts with you -- because you're taking your son on a Boy Scout camping trip, I bow in your general direction.

The Baron is right. We make as much time for the family as possible, but sometimes -- especially when things are financially tough -- we all suck it up and do what we have to do to keep the checks coming and food on the table.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Very true. They won't be there. Family is all that counts.
    And anybody worth anything in this profession has skipped so much family shit it is amazing.
    Don't mention the economy. Newspapers have been taking advantage of their "good" employees for years.
    The "good" sports writers have worked 70 and been paid for 40 for fucking decades.
    The "you are having fun on the road" argument is utter bullshit. It is missing family outings and being taken advantage of. Don't blame the economy and say this is just happening now.
    I'm glad newspapers are folding. Fuck the suits.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I was talking with a friend about this the other night. They said my job has to be so rewarding and great because I've won some awards and traveled all over the country covering sports.

Instead, I shrugged and said, "Actually, I'd rather be home at night and on the weekends and have a 9-to-5 desk job. The pay sucks, the hours are horrible and the stress is overbearing. Plus, Newspapers have never shown me the love of a woman - both literally and figuratively."

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wish I had a crystal ball and could see where the entire media industry --- including radio, TV and the internet --- will be in 2019.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

go talk to a 60-year-old guy who's worked in this business his entire life and ask him what type of relationships he has with his grown children. you won't like the answer 90 percent of the time ... and my point is, if the job takes such a toll on family life and the industry is filled with gloom and doom, why isn't everyone looking to get out?

Draft saved Draft deleted