1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McChrystal: After ten years, the war in Afghanistan is half finished.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 7, 2011.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

At this rate, we will be having the same discussion in ten years.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You didn't answer any of the concerns I raised - which come from Gen. McChrystal, not me. The kind of isolationism you suggest isn't possible any more.

So again, what does the US do to get out of the region without setting a fuse to the very problems we went there thinking we could end?

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought the Obamadrone was taking care of the terrorism problem?

As for the rest of it, I'm no more in favor of Obama continuing this ludicrous nation-building adventure than I was when Bush first launched it.

The U.S. can maintain a military presence in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region for the next 500 years and never come close to "fixing" many of the problems there.

Sadly, though, I'm beginning to think we can say the same about our own domestic issues.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We're surprised a half-hearted effort in Afghanistan isn't paying off? Has there ever been enough troops to root out insurgents?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Drones for everyone !

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Stripped at the top of A1 with two breakouts and a sidebar inside at my paper.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Very good.

Without revealing anything, are you in a circulation area with lots of military folks?

It was a struggle this morning to find mention of it.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's mostly National Guard and Coast Guard folks around here.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which ignores the fact that the Vietnamese weren't harboring people who were legitimately attacking America.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And Laos wasn't a military kleptocracy with an atomic bomb.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Take the troops out of Afghanistan and transfer a few Special Ops Battalions, air cover and back up to Pakistan. Destroy their nukes and then come home.

Time to end World War Bush

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But their benifactor in Russia owned a few. At least that was the meme that kept us in Viet Nam.
    If we pull out of Afghanistan now we would still be a lot less vunerable than we were during the 60's and 70's.

Draft saved Draft deleted