1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCarver: Manny's Lack of Commitment in Boston was "Despicable"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

After looking and looking, the best I can do is refer to this Jon Heyman column on SI.com that doesn't mention a vote ever taking place. It's a pretty detailed piece on how the trade went down.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/08/04/heyman.mannytrade/index.html

If it's true the Red Sox went to the players to see if Manny got voted off the island, does that mean the players themselves and not Theo ought to take the blame if they lose to the Rays or in the World Series?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It would mean that the Red Sox front office was so worried about the potential fan reaction that they sought all sorts of PR cover before moving ahead with what they've wanted to do since the Henry group took over the franchise.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Or it could mean that the Rays are simply a better team in the Sox. Since, you know, they've been in first place all year.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ahh, now Red Sox fans are setting up their escape when they lose.

Excellent.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Manny saga is another curse in the making.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Well they could lose if their pitching gets absolutely shelled and the Dodger-Manny wouldn't even have provided enough offense to overcome it.

Sox losing in either of the next two rounds does not necessarily mean they made the wrong move.

I know I'm not the only one that holds to the belief that if the team has Manny for the final two months that they don't even make the playoffs.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, Manny sucks.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Angola, I really thought you were smarter than that. Who here said Manny sucks?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No one.

I was just having a little fun.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Where's the blue?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

As in Dodger blue?

12. KP

KP Active Member