1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain Wins Blowhard Primary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Curt Schilling throws his, ah, weight behind Johnny Mac.

Ok this is political opinion. If you aren’t interested or don’t care what I think, don’t read any further.

I had the honor of participating in a Town Hall with Senator McCain last night in Nashua, N.H.

He started the night by saying something that resonated with me. This town hall event, this forum, was Democracy at it’s most basic level. The ability for citizens of this country to question their candidates on issues that matter to them, and get responses, it doesn’t get any better than that.

I got to kick the evening off by introducing this man and talking a bit about why I was there. I had to laugh at the thought that his staff might not have realized the nightmare potential of me standing in front of American citizens with no script. The cool part is that this was easy. When you believe in someone, or something, so much, talking about your passion and respect for them is simple.

We are coming upon an election that I believe is absolutely essential to the future of this country. The American people have made it very clear how unhappy they are with where we are as a nation today. The approval ratings for our government are horribly low. We need someone who feels the way we all do about big government.

The true beauty of Senator McCain, in my opinion, lies in his accountability. Many questions were asked of him last night that elicited an initial answer of “I’m sorry I’m not going to be able to tell you what you want to hear, but the solution to that problem is more complex than a yes/no vote on a single piece of legislation.”

He doesn’t pander to the voters, he makes you understand, if you listen to him, that his goal is the rebuilding and restoration of national pride in the greatest country on earth.

The focus of this election, or at least the primary focus outside of any domestic issues, is the war in the Middle East. It will be, and should be, an incredibly hot topic with extreme amounts of passion for both sides.

My problem is in the people, politicians and media alike who make the ignorant comment “John McCain is war monger” “John McCain is for the war” and other idiotic comments like that. I would promise you this. Ask any human being who’s ever served in an active theater of war, whether they are for or against it. Anyone of sane mind will be the latter. No one that’s ever seen the horrible events that take place during a military conflict could ever in their right mind ‘be for war’.

John McCain is as against war as anyone that walks the earth. But you’re lying to yourself if you think that being ‘against the war’ makes someone more or less suited to be our next President. Simply being against the war is NOT going to solve the problem. It’s not going to end the war. We are all against the war, no one wants it.

We have to accept the fact that if we elect someone who PROMISES us to begin troop pull outs the minute they are elected, we are casting a vote to lose the war and dishonor the men and women that have paid the ultimate sacrifice. I want us out of the middle east now, today, immediately. But I also realize that if we do pull out before allowing the Iraqi people to solidify a system of self government that allows their people to live and breathe as free human beings with every right you and I have; if we pull out before the Iraqi people have been able to learn and train a security force devoid of corruption and focused on the safety of it’s citizens, we’ve failed, we’ve lost. Not only that but do you honestly believe we won’t find ourselves amidst another 9/11 event and then back in the middle east in force sometime in the near future?

There is absolutely no simple answer here. I don’t have it, nor do you. But for me the answer lies in the person we elect as our next president. My vote is going to a man that bravely served this nation and extolled virtues and character throughout his lifetime that make me believe in him, and his ideals.

Senator McCain is the first person in the room to tell you we’ve made mistakes, we’ve screwed up epically on many occasions. He’ll also tell you that pulling out now would erase any and everything good that’s been done since the war began.

This is not Vietnam. The citizens of Iraq WANT to be free and they’ve shown that they’ll turn out at polls to elect a government to make that happen, anyone with both eyes open can see that on a daily basis through the news being reported by unbiased and untainted media outlets.

I guess what I am saying, or asking, is that if you are undecided about who to cast your vote for, don’t vote for someone a celebrity tells you to vote for, that’s lame, lazy and disrespectful of the rights you’ve been given. Take the time to listen and see these people. I don’t doubt for a second that if you listen to these men and women, if you hear what they are saying, if you look at what kind of people they are, I don’t think you can come to any other conclusion than John McCain is far and away the best human being alive to be the next President of the United States of America. He’s the person to rebuild this country, reform this Government into one that serves the people. I think people are tired of feeling like they work for the governement or that their voice doesn’t matter, isn’t it the other way around? Isn’t it supposed to be?

If you don’t believe that, cool, cast your vote for whomever you choose to, but at the end of the day please make sure to cast your vote.

McCain/Huckaby in ‘08?

Thanks, Curt.
    www.38pitches.com

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Well, Curt, learning the spelling of your VP choice's last name might help.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I was always under the impression that Schilling was a pro-torture guy. Sure, if elected, McCain would classify Schilling's bluster as characteristic of that which the Geneva Convention ruled as torture.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Considering Schill's charity work, you'd think he'd want to support a candidate who would support further stem-cell research.

Draft saved Draft deleted