1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain to Hagee: No, thanks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, May 22, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think when we stay away from some of the hot button social issues -- we probably agree on a lot more than you think........

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since you're a libertarian, I'll agree with you on that point. Truce? Because I'm really enjoying my time here too much to bicker with anyone.

3. zagoshe

Absolutely -- I have no beef with you (well unless you bring up evolution and global warming ha ha ha....)

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Are we gonna sing Koombayah and toast marshmallows now? :D

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then let's cool it and let things evolve as they will here. BWUHAHAHA!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Zag, I've seen enough of your posts to say one thing with certainty. You are not a libertarian, using any normal definition of the word.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know it seems a little weak-kneed to take such an approach, but I've always believed it takes a real man to put aside differences and try to get along with others.

8. zagoshe

Do you think they sing Koombayah at Rev. Hagee's church?

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Clearly these aren't McCain's views, but that ain't the point. It's simply evidence that the "Maverick" image is utter bullshit.

McCain wanted Hagee in the fold to make his bona fides with the extreme right wing of his party who vote solely on things like gay bashing and abortion.

Between this and the lobbyist purge, it has not been a good week for "The Maverick."

10. zagoshe

I like you and I am going to miss you and Fenian giving each other grief -- but you are dead wrong on that one.

I have some strong feelings about certain social issues -- but I don't believe in almost every case the government has any business being involved in any of them.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That part is hard to argue with, and I'll readily grant you the McCain of '08 is a sadly pandering version of the 2000 version, whom I probably would have voted for.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, I could be wrong... But you think we should have laws against abortion, right?

I do remember you wanting regulation of myspace and the internet in general, because you perceive certain things as harmful. A libertarian does not feel that way.

How about drugs? You think we should legalize coke, pot, crack, heroin?

And I am certain that from things that I have seen you post that your religious views dictate your beliefs much more than a core belief in individual liberty.

Libertarians see people as individuals and not representatives of racial, religious or political groups. You have never struck me as being that way from your posts on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted