1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain recited Steelers defensive lineup to captors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Same here...

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It's called "Old Man Memory."

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Maybe give him a mulligan, as long as he doesn't say it was the Carolina Panthers' linebackers he recited.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't really care, but I'm not sure John Kerry got a mulligan when he said he spent Christmas in Cambodia.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When McCain was captured during the War of 1812, he recited the top of five jockeys in horse racing.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep. It does.

No chance his family has Pittsburgh ties? Just playing devil's advoacte with that question.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

None that I can find.

He grew up as a military brat, they settled in Virginia as a kid, and he went to the Naval Academy in Annapolis.
    His dad's from Iowa, and also went to Annapolis.
    His mom's from Oklahoma.

Anyway, nothing that would indicate that he's telling the truth about the Steelers, when for years that story has circulated about the Packers instead.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He went to high school in Virginia and went to college in Maryland, so it wouldn't be that much of a reach to think he could have been a Steelers fan.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Surly if he could name four of them then, he could name one of them now, correct?

Or at the very least, he could recount the youthful days he spent pretending to be quarterback Bill Nelsen?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would still think it much more likely he would have been a Baltimore Colts fan, especially given the Johnny Unitas years.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Lloyd Voss is a legend. At least in s'west Minnesota.

Can McCain name the starting five for the 1960 Edgerton Dutchmen title team? (I'm assuming some of the Minnesotans on the board can)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sure, if he were 10 years younger ... or hadn't claimed to know the entire Steelers defensive line at a time before Joe Greene or any of those guys started playing with Pittsburgh.

You really think that's realistic?

Draft saved Draft deleted