1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain fields question in town hall meeting re: alleged insult toward wife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 2, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

beloved

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dodge it the way he did, yes... meaning offering zero answer.

But if he had said "called your wife a bad word", McCain would have probably said something like "I'm sure we've both used words we wish we could have back in the heat of an argument."

Then, everyone would think it was some less incendiary word, one that perhaps we all have used, and escaped more fully.

That guy had to use that word.

McCain could have said, "No." Then moved on. Would have taken a half-second longer.

He knows, like we do, that this was no crackpot question... that this anecdote is out there.

His non-answer is proof he said it.

3. In public?
    Please send a link.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As long as his last words weren't "Don't Tase me Bro" I think he got off easy...

The guy was posing as a journalist and wasn't supposed to be there... I don't think it's overkill for secret service to question him.

It's not like they sent him to Guantanamo Bay...

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The story wasn't very clear. Was the event ONLY open to journalists? Were ONLY journalists allowed to ask questions? If it's a town hall meeting, that usually means it's open to the public, right? Just wondering...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it said he got in posing as a journalist...

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It did. My question, however, is were they limiting attendance, or question asking, to journalists?

8. It just calls it an event.
    I've seen it described as a town-hall meeting and the guy, apparently, was a preacher.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This may be more a matter of semantics to some here, but if they were only accepting questions from journalists and this guy was posing as one, I see why the Secret Service got involved. If it was an open forum, not sure how him pretending to be a journalist really matters.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you lie in any way to gain entrance to an event featuring someone the Secret Service is guarding you're going to get questioned if you get caught.

11. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

You mean, kind of like the Chicago Tribune article that mentioned Frank Thomas taking pitchers deep into the c(o)unt?

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

"Maybe I did, son, but once I remembered that that c*nt's worth over 100 million dollars, I immediately retracted my statement."

Draft saved Draft deleted