1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain: Being in an orphanage is better than having two gay parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 13, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He said he was against gay couples adopting children.

He was given an opportunity to equivocate his position against a certain circumstance -- children in orphanages. He did not equivocate his position.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

For those of you who have a problem with the title of the thread, let's concede that it is a stretch, that McCain didn't specifically say that being an orphan is preferable to being raised by gay parents. That aside, how do you feel about what he DID say? Do you have any problem at all with his stance that gay people should not be allowed to adopt? If you could answer without using the words "Gore" or "internet," that would be great, thanks.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know your political preferences, nor do I care. But on this thread, you are deflecting criticism away from McCain. Therefore, you are supporting him in this context.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Of course, there's another ironic aspect to McCain's answer here:

Mr. McCain: I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no I don’t believe in gay adoption.

Is he personally talking about his first or second family?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I disagree with McCain's stance.

I also think the orphanage is a hysterical red herring, given how tough it is for a couple to adopt as it is.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, we made it through 8 years of Reagan, and, luck willing, should survive 8 years of Junior Bush.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Second term ain't over yet...

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Absolutely right.

Let's not kid ourselves. The retard-in-chief and his evil cohorts can do a lot of damage in the last 200 days.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All true. But a word to the wise, eh. Let's not be overblowing things, and let people be judged on the things they say, not what some interpret them to be saying. Goodness knows McCain's statements are bad enough as they stand on their own.

It'll make things a lot easier for the next four months.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The only problem I see is he didn't back up his first answer with a second likened answer. Dodging it is trying to be politically correct instead of honest. I think I'd appreciate honesty and telling people to accept it or vote otherwise.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The "Straight Talk Express" went off the rails long ago.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now it's more like the "Straight Talk Horse and Buggy".

Draft saved Draft deleted