1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain at his pandering best

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

See, THAT is what I'm talking about. Thanks a bunch. Again, I control-F'ed "Bush," and found a few scattered references to the president, through which I skimmed. I'd like once again to stipulate that lifelong Republican politician John McCain and Republican president George W. Bush are indeed likely to agree on some issues, but that these agreements do not constitute "clone"dom.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Or 95 percent of them, according to McCain's 2007 senate votes.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ha!

Doesn't get much more weasely than remotely reputable, Wingy.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I threw that in as an extra CYA...I don't think even anyone disreputable has offered proof that Bush knew about it.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When even the Fox guys are trashing McCain's speech, you know it was a dud. The green background and the language was obviously a play for independents and HRC's voters, but the whole atmosphere of the speech made it seem like he was accepting the Green Party's nomination. I like McCain, respect him too, but I felt like I was watching a kid in a school play hoping he'd remember his lines.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

McCain has all the energy of a wind-up Victrola on the stump, while Obama sounds like a home theatre system that would make the Geek Squad green with envy. He needs to dump the format and go with his strengths.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One basic problem McCain faces in these settings, compared to Obama: Obama is much, much better at reading the PrompTer than McCain. You can't tell Obama is reading. McCain leaves no doubt. It's one reason why McCain greatly prefers town hall events when he can go off-the-cuff.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

When even the FOX guys . . .

Fair and Balanced at its best.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Now that it's down to two candidates, the collective backbone of both is a sham. McCain ran to John Hagee's endorsement, then ran away from it when the winds changed. Obama's pastor did what pastors should do, preach from the standpoint that no country is above faith. Note that he's preaching, not legislating, and therefore, is working well within his bounds. He said America was essentially imperfect, though he was certainly more rash when he said it. If Obama had a lengthy relationship with this man, he should have defending his right to say what he did; but instead, Obama raised the politically correct mantra. So where's the courage of either of these candidates? Say what you want about Bush II. Even with a 30 percent approval rate, he's not changing his positions to be "politically correct."

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

John McCain represents the worst of our political system because he is "thisclose" to being president mostly because he is a good old boy, part of the good old boy network, a guy who received basically a life-time achievement award from a clueless and rudderless party that is so desperate to try and win an election they picked a guy who two years ago was a "Maverick" and an outcast and he is a guy whose last new idea came about 30 years ago.

He was picked for all the wrong reasons because he has all the right connections -- and I'm supposed to believe this is good for America and this is something we should celebrate?

Further -- he has done some things in the past that would suggest he isn't walking step for step with the neo-con wing of the Republican party but once it became clear he was going to have a chance to win this thing -- he has become a walking "talking point Republican" complete with idiotic ideas about how to do tax cuts (without any real ideas on how to reduce the size of government), more neo-con nonsense about how "talking and acting" tough means spending billions of dollars to invade every country we think we can beat (in schools this is called bullying and is punished) and he has no idea, none, not one clue, on how to rectify the problems with health care and public education, well other than more poorly conceived ideas on deregulation and privatization.

Oh wait, but he does want to cut greenhouse gases, which Bush according to his critics wants to destroy the enviroment today -- so yeah you are right, he is not a Bush clone......

Look, he may not want to be, but he is sure as hell talking like one.

And here is his biggest problem McCain and the Republicans have.....

They have forever lost people like me (and there are a lot of us), who are generally conservative in nature but believe conservative values have everything to do with common sense and responsible economic solutions to problems, smaller more efficient government in ALL AREAS (not just the ones we think the lib's like), lower taxes that make sense and are accompanied by smaller government (I'm not sure but cutting taxes then spending $1 billion more a month on an ill-fated war and another $10 or $20 billion per year or whatever it is on "homeland security" is not exactly financially responsible) and
    nothing to do with making sure we evangelize the country and force gay people to stay single, creating tax breaks and givebacks and pork projects (corporate welfare) for our friends while bitching about the cost of welfare to ordinary citizens.

In short John McCain is Bob Dole 12 years later, he is an old, tired, out of ideas, so-called conservative Republican whose name is at the top of the ticket because he's been around so damn long he might just be able to win it.....

That to me represents the worst and laziness of our political system.

I haven't voted for a Republican Presidential Candidate since Daddy Bush in 1988 (I've voted Reform Party twice in 1992 and 1996 and Libertarian in 2000 and 2004) and I won't until this party finds some leadership, finds its roots again and moves forward as if it has some damn sense.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, what roots are you talking about? The Reagan roots? The Lincoln roots? Something in between?

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Talk about an uninspiring speech. The crowd (looking to be all white by the way) seemed underwhelmed into sleepiness by the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted