1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain about to pick Jindal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I supported Romney for Prez, would be happy with him as the VP.

Romney explains policy better than just about anyone. The thing I worry about is policy wonks don't usually do too well ... John Edwards didn't really help Kerry. Al Gore wasn't the reason Clinton got elected twice, and he should've won a landslide against Bush in 2000 -- sitting VP off a popular presidency with the economy going well, and ended up in a virtual tie (yeah, I know he won the popular vote). They tend to be really well-stated and can back up their positions, but don't really energize voters.

However, policy wonks do generally make good VPs because of their ability to formulate policy.

The thing I'd worry about with Romney is that having a Mormon on the ticket could drive a lot of Southerners to Bob Barr. Dunno if it'll hurt McCain enough to cost him states in the south, but he can't afford to lose anything. Southern Baptists can be very fickle -- while racism is an issue in the south, there are a lot that would vote for 10 African-Americans before they ever voted for a Mormon, even though the Mormon shares their views on virtually every social issue.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If McCain loses, he will be remembered as part of a sinking ship in 2008. While John Edwards was a good candidate the second time around for the Democrats, you never really got the feeling he was taken seriously compared to Obama and Hillary. Everyone else moved on to the next thing. If Romney wants to run in 2012, he might be better served letting someone else take the VP position (if he's even offered it) and chance it.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Good point. Mondale (Carter's VP) got the nomination in 1984, but the general election didn't go well.

Also a reason why fellow fading-star Jack Kemp was Bob Dole's running mate in the hopeless (for the GOP) election of 1996 instead of an up-and-comer.

However, the Dems had a pool of candidates angling in 2004 -- Hillary was always seen as the heir apparent, but Obama broke out with his convention speech, Bayh has always been sniffing around the big chair, Edwards was in his first run. Howard Dean emerged, then screamed his way into oblivion as a candidate. You had a feeling that the Dems would have had a good pool of candidates for 2008.

The GOP is really struggling to find the next generation. There are some strong, likeable young Republicans who are strong with the base and potentially electable, but they're still working their way through and not as easily-recognizable yet. Romney is at the old end of that -- he's 60, but he has been a recent player on the national scene. Jindal is definitely going to be on one of the top two spots in the future. Michael Steele gave an excellent convention speech in 2004, and is involved pretty high in GOP ranks. A decade ago, J.C. Watts would've been pretty high on the list (he probably would've beaten W and McCain for the nomination had he decided to run in 2000), but he decided to retire to private life. Mark Sanford of SC isn't well-known, but is well-liked by conservatives. Charlie Crist of Florida doesn't play as well with the base, but he could be heard from again.

Any of those guys would benefit from being on the ticket in 08, to give them name recognition in 2012, even if Obama wins this year. You'll probably see a lot of Jindal & Steele brought to the forefront by the GOP in the next couple of years ... wouldn't be surprised if the other two (Sanford & Crist) show up quite a bit, too.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I don't want Romney anywhere near the White House. He scares me because I know the way a good deal of Mormons view anyone who isn't Mormon

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How right you are. I sure am glad that the Republicans have a presidential candidate who has that executive experien ... oh wait. Yeah.

But that's, uh, different, right?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What are you talking about -- the man asked me to compare resumes between Jindal and Obama and that's all I did.

My God, some of you are way beyond gone........

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Being as Jindal is downright crazy, I can’t see this as a positive for McCain.

Romney is the most sensible choice. However, we all know McCain hates the guy.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Is he crazy, or are you just an intolerant bigot?

Sorry, just wanted to cut off zagoshe's line of attack.

9. As if any other believer in Christianity/Judaism/Islam is any better?

Fairy tales are fairy tales. Romney's choice of BS has been America's whippin' religion for years, but that doesn't mean he isn't any worse than any other candidate professing to have strong Christian roots. All the nasty stories coming out of Utah recently can't possibly compare with the instructions on how to treat women in the old and new testament that have been taught and/or left in hotel rooms for centuries.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nope. He’s crazy...

Link

11. Wow, Ross, nice raging stereotype.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There isn't a single VP choice out there for McCain that would excite me. I don't like Romney. I hate Huckabee. Jindal doesn't excite me. Crist sucks. Pawlenty is a good guy, but I don't think he helps the ticket much.

If Jindal solidifies McCain in the South, it could prove to be the right move. I would be lying if I said I liked the choice.

That said, I don't think there is anyone out there for Obama other than Hillary that would excite anyone either.

Draft saved Draft deleted