1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McAfee VirusScan giving false positives, turning your computer into a doorstop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The replacement laptop Dell sent me has McAfee. In all seriousness (and I'm no computer wizard, so simple explanations, please), what should I do next time I boot up, and after that? Immediately uninstall McAfee?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I spent 1/3rd of that and built my own to specs that would probably beat your $1,500 mac.

And when something breaks or gets old on that, I can replace and upgrade it part-by-part for a fraction of the price of the Mac.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And, if we all had that skill set, we could do that, too. Failing that, the $1,500 Mac has served our family well. Mrs. tbf absolutely hates her PC, and vows she's a Mac Girl next time. Damn, I love her. 8)

4. RickStain

Which is exactly the point. Every user has different needs in a computer. Macs are not panacea :)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If I were a mechanic, I'd have a 69 Camaro, too. :D

6. RickStain

Man, I wish putting together a computer were as cool as putting together a car.

It gives me nerd cred to be able to do it, but it's really, really easy. Disappointingly easy.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Re: McAfee VirusScan giving false positives, turning your computer into a doorst

Pretty obvious what he'd been using his computer for.

Draft saved Draft deleted