1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayweather-Ortiz Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect Mayweather wanted to get the hell out of there before he heard Merchant utter the name "Manny Pacquiao."

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I just hope that one day, eventually, someone knocks Mayweather out cold. I would love to see that fuckface unconscious on the canvas.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Ortiz took the loss a little too well?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, what a ridiculous valentine to Mayweather from Dan Rafael on ESPN.com.

http://tinyurl.com/3rf8ybq

Excerpt:

Utter bullshit. Even ignoring the sucker punch (which Rafael totally excuses), Mayweather was not dominating the fight and was not brilliant. He dominated round three. Round one was roughly even, Ortiz was better in round two, and Ortiz was better in four before the shit hit the fan.

What a tool.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Great lede: For there to be a sucker punch, there first must be a sucker.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mayweather-317709-ortiz-one.html

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The odd thing is that he gets called out constantly for being anti-Mayweather all the time by Money fans. As much as I think boxing is crooked as hell, there does seem to be a lot of interpretation in it. FWIW, I think I read that on the judge's scorecards, they had eight rounds to Mayweather and one to Ortiz across three cards.

7. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I think this video ends the debate. What Mayweather did might not have been nice per say but it was 100% legal. Watch the video. At 0:25 mark Cortez clearly says "let's go" and motions for them to fight. It looks like Cortez forgets to tell the timekeeper to restart the clock. He then realises and that's why he looks confused and is looking away from the action when Mayweather lands the first punch. That's not Mayweather's fault though. The ref has clearly told him that he could fight on.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Do the boxing powers-that-be even care? They still get millions of people to pay $50 to watch it on pay-per-view or (as was the case at the sports bar around the corner from me) pay a $20 cover charge to get in and watch it.

They keep getting their money. So why stop what they're doing?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Larry Merchant was the true winner last night.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding!

The smile on his face while he waited for Merchant to interview him indicated he was either still seeing bluebirds dancing around his nogging, like a cartoon character, or he knew it was a WWE shamtastic event.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"not that boxing can't use another pay-per-boo attraction..."

Great column.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Or, like the rest of us, he found the Mayweather/Merchant altercation rather amusing.

Draft saved Draft deleted