1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe they'll let you gnaw on the can

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 28, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

US Airways is dropping free snacks (peanuts, pretzels, etc.).

I don't have a link off-hand, but it's definitely true. I guess they'll be able to cut a little bit more weight and save more EXPENSIVE, EXPENSIVE FUEL.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hell, since they dropped legitimate baggage service many, many years ago, there's no stopping them, now.

Really, this starts bordering on a public health issue. To not have WATER available on multi-hour flights is criminal. They're not threatening to go that route -- yet.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just think it is all a conspiracy by the airports to make more money.

You can't take lighters through, so you buy them when you land.
    You can't take opened drinks through, so you buy them when you get through security.
    You can't take food through, so you have to buy that too.

It's all bullshit. No one's going to blow up a plane with a lighter, a bottle of water and a sub sandwich.

4. jps

jps Active Member

MacGuyver could.

5. jps

jps Active Member

(Actually, on a recent flight -- American -- we got the in-flight drink, but the snacks were available for purchase. $3 for a bag of trail mix? No thanks. Brought my own.)

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think you can take lighters now. Last time I flew, in March, I handed the TSA dude my lighter and he said, "You can keep those now. There's too many of you smokers."

What an idiot. I don't smoke...I brought a cherry bomb.

And, I lied. I do smoke.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Really? I didn't know that.
    Last time I flew I did what I always do and leave my lighter on the ashtray outside so someone else can use it.
    I remember in Boise they would keep the lighters they confiscated at security and smokers coming off the planes could grab one and keep it. It was pretty cool.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was doing the same, but just forgot one time and learned I was allowed to keep the lighter. It was a good day.

Draft saved Draft deleted