1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe seeing your son in the paper isn't your biggest priority right now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 1, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Got an e-mail the other day that started out, and I paste "I'm not a typical sports mom.. who thinks their kid is the greatest athlete on the planet etc.."

That's when I knew I was in trouble :)
    It goes on to talk about how her son has played baseball ever since Little League (hmm...never heard of that before) and he throws a 90 mph fastball and is hoping for a D-I scholarship (wasn't even all-league last year, and wasn't mentioned by the coach for our season preview). She even says her son "never gets frazzled" and wears a "sly smile when striking out opponents"

Makes me wonder if this kid hired the mom as a PR agent???

And the whopper at the end...the parents are divorcing and if we could put a feature of him in the paper wouldn't it make things easier on the kid. Are you freakin' kidding me??? Really lady??? That line made me more bonkers than most anything I've received. How about taking the time you spent writing me this e-mail and spend it working on your marriage instead. You want to save your son the pain of a divorce...work on your marriage. Mixed up priorities.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I never say I've heard it all in this racket, but now I'm one step closer.

Obviously she means well, wanting to ease the pain for the kid, but if the story's not there, it's not there.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I don't care about the story...I'll keep my eye on the kid over the course of the season, but I highly doubt there's anything there.

Just seemed so silly to think that a feature on the kid would take away the pain of their decision to divorce. Get some perspective parents...c'mon now.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

maybe her son is incredibly shallow

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is the mom hot? You should be able to at least get something from her by vaguely promising to cover her kid.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Careful with that one. She could later blog about how you shorted her on inches.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

ah shite, Stich and JD took the best lines already.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She won't get 12 inches.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the sly smile line, though.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Just make it a "short" (and) "brief" item, Flex. ... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, this is a new one in my book, too. With the quitter - I'm sorry, divorce - rate being what it is these past several years, I'm surprised we haven't heard this one before. I'm down with Flex here, and on top of that, while she should be working on her marriage instead of bucking the local SE for a story on her kid, she could be self-recruiting her kid. Probably doesn't know the first thing about it. I did a big story on self-recruiting last fall. Drew huge hits online - well, for our paper's typical traffic anyway.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Ease his pain."

And go the distance with the mom.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. Quitter?

Draft saved Draft deleted