1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe Police Are Responsible For Unsolved Murders Of Black Youth In Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 21, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about holding the audience responsible for jumping to conclusions? I get what she said, she was expressly repeating what she was told and told everyone that.

People, how about doing a little thinking on your own?

Its stupid to kill the messenger, that's what this Davis was, purely the messenger. I have not followed who she is but don't rip her for merely repeating what others said, those are the ones who should be held accountable.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why even put it out there? It lends more credence to it then necessary especially from
    a "respected" black politician. No upside at all.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Do we really know she has heard all these rumors? She's been unhinged enough in the past to hear voices in her head and claim they "whispered" to her.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Until she names a date, time, place of a murder by cop, with the victim's name she's a liar and she's making this up. I don't doubt one or some of her constituents said it but people say tons of shit. Homosexuality is a curable disease, the US government was behind 9-11, the pyramids were built by aliens, everyone will have their own jetpacks by 1978, Sarah Palin and CLarence Thomas are qualifed. But if you are an elected official and you are calling out your police department for serial racially motivated murders, if you don't have any facts and are just repeating what ignorant people are whispering, then you are a liar and ought to be called such.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are several conclusions being made here that do not appear accurate:

1. If you look at her quotes, I don't think she's calling out the police dept.; and
    2. Repeating what someone else says is not lying.

You may think me disingenuous, or splitting hairs but that's the truth. The only question is whether she accurately repeated what she was told.

I'll just give this up, she's probably a nutcase, but what I hate is that audience members who are too lazy to do their own scrutiny of the truth get a free pass.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

So as long as she says that someone told her these things, she gets a free pass? How do we know that someone actually said these things to her?

9. Boom_70

Rep. Davis believes that the George Zimmerman accident rescue was staged to make him look good.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

How do we know the person who whispered didnt make shit up.

11. Boom_70

Al Sharpton once told us that Tawana Brawley was raped by a group of white men
    including an Assistan District Attorney. That ended badly for Al but it appears
    that he has landed on his feet courtesy of MSNBC.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the lawyers at those New York Times Company libel seminars I attended years ago telling us that merely saying something is a rumor that you heard or "is circulating" is not a defense against an otherwise libelous statement.

Draft saved Draft deleted