1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe a "Holy Day" means something different to muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 30, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Abbott, that's funny shit.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would respect the muslim faith a lot more if the "non extreme" sector did more to curb the extreme sect. Now they sit silent for the most part.

As a country I think we need to take a more militant approach towards the extreme muslims. I think we need to adopt the approach that Israel follows.

We need to stop being so compliant and accepting of the fact that we have to stand in security lines for hours on end because some "small" group of exstreme muslims on the other side of the world want to blow us up.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go ask the Israelis how well their "militant" attitude has been working, Boom.

4. Boom_70

If you look at a map the fact that they still exist as a country tells you things are working out pretty good all things considered.

One thing that really goes underreported but the US presence in Iraq serves as a great protection to Israel. A US pullout would be a major problem.

The Jewish voters in US are in bit of quandary. As a block they traditionally vote democrat. this time around such a vote could prove detrimental to Israel. Joe Lieberman realizes this.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That post was borderline insane, even for you, Boom.

6. Boom_70

Break it down Zeke - how so?

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

8. Boom_70

Hey everyone it's BRIT. What did you have detention today?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, judging by that standard, who isn't doing a good job? The fact is, terrorist attacks inside Israel continue. The war with Syria was a disaster. The settlements are a huge issue, and Olmert lacks the political capital to deal with them. In short, not what we should aspire to.

How so? By inflaming the region? The Israelis know they can count on our military support through arms. They know they have our diplomatic support. How does us fighting a war in the middle east, when we are so closely linked, help Israel? If Israel can't really defeat Hamas in Syria, and we can't quell an insurgency in Iraq, what does that do to the myth of American and -- by extension -- Israeli invulnerability?

Again, what? Both American parties swear allegiance to Israel. American jewish voters don't vote solely on Israel, and even if they did, I cannot think of a single reason why they would vote to continue our adventure in Iraq. But if this is as you say, surely you can show me where Bush did exceptionally well when compared to his GOP predecessors among American jewish voters.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I didn't post a single thing anti-Muslim. I merely asked if anyone had examples of members of American religious groups bombing and shooting each other on Christmas or Easter?

Nothing anti-Muslim about that.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Know what? There are a lot of people living in awful, inhumane conditions in other parts of the world who aren't using their plight as an excuse to kill people who won't worship as they do. There's no excuse -- none -- for killing or otherwise performing mayhem on other people.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

I would like to see them step up a lot more, too. Some have, but it's not mainstream enough. If they aren't stepping up, we need to find out why. Do you know? It's simpler than just being pussies or hating America, too.

As far as standing in lines go.... that's part of the war, mah' man. What else are we going to do? If we don't stand in lines, the terrorists get in and wreak havoc. Problem for people who don't like it - it's going to get 'worse.' More 9/11 Commission Report suggestions are in the process of legislation, most of it calling for more detailed inspection. Granted, most of it will be ports and stuff, but airports may draw some new measures, too. When/if Homeland Security gets its shit straight, our domestic spying and civil liberties may take a hit in the name of fighting terrorism. Face it, Boom, there's no way around standing in lines for inspection.

Israel has the best security in the world. Their lines are 10 times longer than ours because EVERYTHING is inspected. If you want to adopt the militant approach of Israel, go right ahead but it's going to piss you off more than you already seem to be. Israel also has a more immediate threat of terror on it's homeland than us, mostly because Jews are hated by Muslim extremists because of centuries of lots of battling. It also doesn't help that Israel is next door to many of the countries that cannot stand it. So their approach is justified moreso than ours.

Also, could you elaborate on 'militant approach?' I mean, we've gone after these guys pretty hardcore since 9/11. I certainly think Afghanistan should be more of a priority, but we're bogged down in our own doing in Iraq. What do you suggest?

I think things have to be handled with knowledge of the enemy in mind, not simply going after whoever we think is bad. We have to know. Pre-emptive, I think, sucks unless we're guaranteed. And I'm not talking about our Iraqi i'ntel' guy 'Curveball' or George Tenet and his 'slam dunk.' The U.S. can't just invade Saudi Arabia, Syria or Iran because extremists or even terrorists are there. It's not that simple. Fuck, 15 of the 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. One, Atta, was from Egypt. Should we bomb Egypt?

Draft saved Draft deleted